This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a New Innovative Software-Based Sensing Technique to Instantaneously Measure the Mixture Fraction of Bio-Diesel Present in a Crude Oil Based Classic Diesel Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper gives a short introduction to the notion of flex fuel approach for diesel engines.
The paper continues with a description of a basic study of the diesel combustion process to allow the design of a strategy for recognition of a random bio-diesel fraction, Bx, by a purely software-based sensing technique, which creates an image of the temporal combustion behavior and uses only sensors already in service for current CR-mixture preparation systems.
The paper concludes presenting a series of experimental verification data obtained on a large-scale series produced 1.3 liter Turbo-charged CR-rail passenger car engine.
CitationPontoppidan, M. and Montanari, G., "Development of a New Innovative Software-Based Sensing Technique to Instantaneously Measure the Mixture Fraction of Bio-Diesel Present in a Crude Oil Based Classic Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0210, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0210.
- Pontoppidan, M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualization Techniques to decrease the Optimization Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimization.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Pontoppidan, M. Ausiello, F. Bella, G. Ubertini, S “Study of the Impact on the Combustion Process of Injector Nozzle Layout creating Enhanced Secondary Spray Break-up.” SAE paper 2003-01-0706
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Damasceno, F. Montanari, G. “Mixture Preparation Optimization by CFD of a Flex-Vehicle (gasoline/ethanol) Intake System Layout” SAE-Brazil paper 2004-118
- Pontoppidan, M. Bonfiglioli, S. Damasceno, F. Montanari, G. “Detailed Study of Ethanol In-cylinder Combustion Behavior by means of a Numerical Virtual Engine Model Approach.” SAE-Brazil paper 2005-01-3980
- ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library “D613”
- Patent Application PI 04 05 357-5 Marelli, Magneti
- Bianchi, G. Pelloni, P. Corcione, F. Luppini, F. “Numerical Analysis of Passenger Car HSDI Diesel Engines with the 2 nd Generation of Common Rail Injection Systems: The Effect of Multiple Injections on Emissions.” SAE Paper 2001-01-1068
- Immarisio, R. Rinolfi, R. “The third generation Direct Injection Diesel engine for Passenger Cars.” ATA Journal 52 1999
- Small diesel manual “Engine 1.3-16V MJT” Fiat Group Automobiles S.p.A.