This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Analysis of a Valvetrain System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mathematical modeling of the dynamics of a mechanical system is a powerful tool for the engineer predicts the behavior of the system. In the design of intake and exhaust valvetrains of diesel engine, the dynamic analysis of the system is essential for the proper sizing of the components. Through dynamic analysis of a 1D model using the Simulink software, this paper will describe the behavior of a valvetrain system that uses an exhaust rocker with hydraulic lifter.
CitationTomoyose, R., "Dynamic Analysis of a Valvetrain System," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0126, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0126.
- Olmstead, E. H.; Taylor, E.S. (1939); “Poppet Valve Dynamics”, Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences, Vol. 6, pp. 370-375
- Dudley, M.W. (1948); “New Methods in Valve Cam Design”, SAE Quaterly Transactions, Vol.2, No.1
- Hrones, J.A. (1948), “An Analysis of the Dynamics Forces in a Cam Drive System”, Trans. ASME, 1948, 70, pp. 473-482
- Barkan, Philip (1953), “Calculation of High-Speed Valve Motion with a Flexible Overhead Linkage”, SAE Transactions, vol. 61, pags. 687-716.
- Hundal, M. S. (1962); “Aid of Digital Computer in Analysis of Rigid Spring-loaded Valve Mechanism.”, SAE Technical Paper 620290, 1962, doi:10.4271/620290.
- Johnson, G. (1962), “Studying Valve Dynamics with Electronic Computers,” SAE Technical Paper 620289, 1962, doi:10.4271/620289.
- Akiba, K.; Shimizu, A.; Sakai, H. (1981), “A Comprehensive Simulation of High Speed Driven Valve Trains”, SAE Technical Paper 810865
- Chan, C; Pisano, A. (1987), “Dynamic Model of a Fluctuating Rocker-Arm Ratio Cam System”, Journal of Mechanism, Transmissions, and Automation in Design, vol.109, pp. 356-365 Phlips, Patrick; Schamel, Andreas (1991), “The Dynamics of Valvetrain with Hydraulic Lash adjusters and the Interaction with the Gas Exchange Process”, SAE Technical Paper 910071
- Norton, Robert (2002), “Cam Design and Manufacturing Handbook”, Industrial Press Inc
- Phlips, P.J.; Schamel, A.R.; Meyer, J.(1989), “An Efficient Model for Valvetrain and Spring Dynamics”, SAE Technical Paper 890619