This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Retrieving Road Surface Profiles from PSDs for Ride Simulation of Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Transient dynamic analysis of vehicles riding pavements has became a reliable and important tool - whenever well carried out, in the durability and fatigue life evaluation of mechanical sub-components. Since a given vehicle or accessory is designed to operate on distinct types of terrain/roads, a detailed knowledge of these excitations is necessary for a realistic characterization of its effects over the structural parts. The most common form to obtain terrain profile is throughout profilometers installed on special vehicles. The amplitude vs. time signature of any terrain could then be used directly as the excitation applied to dynamic models, but this would restrict the analysis only to those terrains already measured and catalogued.
The objective of the present work is to revist the generation of power spectrum density (PSD) functions aiming their usage as excitation on numerical dynamic models of vehicles. If specially catalogued for dedicated use as source of vibration on vehicles, PSD functions can provide significant resource savings for the developing part. For instance, they can be combined to generate new, intermediary terrains, thus avoiding new measurements. It is important, however, to asses show much information of the original sign is lost due to its transformation to a PSD or, conversely, how realistic a terrain is when reconstructed from its PSD.
CitationMunari, L., Fontanella, L., Hoss, L., and Marczak, R., "Retrieving Road Surface Profiles from PSDs for Ride Simulation of Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0003, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0003.
- Adu-Gyamfi, Y. O., Critical Analysis of Different Hilbert-Huang Algorithms for Pavement Profile Evaluation, M.Sc. Thesis, University of Delaware, 2010.
- Bruscella, B., The Analysis and Simulation of the Spectral and Statistical Properties of Road Roughness for Package Performance Testing, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Victoria University of Technology, 1997.
- Bruscella, B., Rouillard, V., and Sek, M.A., Analysis of Road Surface Profiles, J. Transportation Engng., 55-59, Jan/Feb 1999.
- Casamenti, F., Pavimentazione Stradale: Studio Della Regolarita, Univerità degli Studi di Bologna, 2008.
- Cebon, D., Handbook of vehicle road interaction, Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers, 1999.
- Dinga, L., Hao, H. N. and Zhu, X., Evaluation of dynamic vehicle axle loads on bridges with different surface conditions, Journal of Sound and Vibration 323, 826-848, 2009.
- Dodds, C.J. and Robson, J.D., The description of Road Surface Roughness, Journal of Sound and Vibration 31 (2), pp. 175-183, 1973.
- EN 1991-2:2003. Eurocode 1: Actions on Structures - Part 2: Traffic loads and Bridges. Anexo B, European Committee for Standardization, 2003.
- Garcia, D.S.P., Method for Analysis of the Geometric Consistency of Brazilian Roads, Ph.D. Dissertation (in Portuguese), Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 2008.
- Gillespie, T.D., “Fundamentals of Vehicle Dyanmics,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-7680-2333-6, 1992, doi:10.4271/R-114.
- ISO 8608, Mechanical vibration - Road surface profiles -Reporting of measured data, Int. Organization for Standardization, 1995.
- ISO 13473-1, Characterization of pavement texture by use of surface profiles -Part 1: Determination of Mean Profile Depth, Int. Organization for Standardization, 1997.
- ISO 13473-2, Characterization of pavement texture by use of surface profiles -Part 2: Terminology and basic requirements related to pavement texture profile analysis, Int. Organization for Standardization, 2002.
- Lu, Y., Yang, S., Li, S. and Chen, L., Numerical and Experimental Investigation on Stochastic Dynamic Load of a Heavy Duty Vehicle, Applied Mathematical Modelling 34, 2698-2710, 2010.
- Lundström, J., Road Roughness Estimation Using Available Vehicle Sensors, Tech. Rep. LITH-ISY-EX- 09/4227-SE, Department of Electrical Engineering, Institutionen för systemteknik, Linköping University, Linköping, 2009.
- Mitschke, M., Dynamik der Kraftfahrzeuge. Springer-Verlag, 1972.
- Munari, L.A., PSD Curves of Brazilian Roads: Derivation Method and Comparison to ISO and DNIT Standards. Mech. Eng. Monograph (in Portuguese), Mech. Eng. Dept., Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 2011.
- Nardello, A., Projeto e Desenvolvimento de uma Pista de Testes, Dissertação de Mestrado Profissionalizante, UFRGS, 2005.
- Ngwangwa, H.M., Heyns, P.S., Labuschagne, F.J.J. e Kululanga, G.K., Reconstruction of Road Defects and Road Roughness Classification Using Vehicle Responses with Artificial neural Networks Simulation, Journal of Terramechanics 47, 97-111, 2010.
- Ngwangwa, H.M., Heyns, P.S., F.J.J., Labuschagne, F.J.J. e Kululanga, G.K., An Overview of the Neural Network Based Technique for Monitoring of Road Condition Via Reconstructed Road Profiles, Proc. 27th Southern African Trans port Conf. (SATC 2008), Pretoria, 312-329, 2008.
- Kang, D.-K., Lee, S.-H. e Goo, S.-H., Development of Standardization and Management System for the Severity of Unpaved Test Courses, Sensors, 7, 2004-2027, 2007.
- Kropác, O. e Múcka, P., Longitudinal road unevenness with periodic components: Characterization and effects on people in a traversing vehicle and the loading of the pavement, Proc. IMechE Vol. 219 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 773-790, 2005.
- Kropác, O. e Múcka, P., Effect of obstacles on the indicators of road unevenness, Proc. IMechE Vol. 219 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering, 1333-1343, 2006.
- Park, S., Popov, A.A. e Cole, D.J., Influence of soil deformation on off-road heavy vehicle suspension vibration, Journal of Terramechanics 41, 41-68, 2004.
- Ramji, K., Gupta, A., Saran, V.H., Goel, V.K., Kumar, V., Road Roughness Measurements using PSD Approach, IE (I)Journal CV, vol. 85, 184-201, 2004
- Rouillard, V., Sek, M.A. e Perry, T., Analysis and Simulation of Road Profiles, J. Transportation Engng., 241-245, May/June 1996.
- Rouillard, V., Sek, M.A. e Bruscella, B., Simulation of Road Surface Profiles, J. Transportation Engng., 41-45, Jan/Feb 2000.
- Rouillard, V., Bruscella, B. e Sek, M.A., Classificantion of Road Surface Profiles, J. Transportation Engng., 247-253, May/June 2001.
- Sayers, M.W. e Karamihas, S.M., Interpretation of Road Roughness Profile Data, Tech.Rep. UMTRI 96-19, The University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute, 1996.
- Sayers, M.W. e Karamihas, S.M., The Little Book of Profiling - Basic Information about Measuring and Interpreting Road Profiles, The Regent of the University of Michigan, 1998.
- Scientific Expert Group IR6 on the Dynamic Interaction Between Vehicles and Infrastructure Experiment - DIVINE project, Tech. Rep. DSTI/DOT/RTR/IR6(98)1/FINAL, OECD - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, 1998.
- Silva, M.C., Avaliação Funcional e Estrutural das Vias Asfaltadas do Campus da UFV, Thesis, Universidade Federal de Viçosa, Brazil, 2006.
- Sivanesan, E., Power Spectral Density (PSD) Terrain Modeling for Vehicle Durability Analysis, M.Sc. Thesis, The University of Tennessee, 2005.
- Sun, L., Computer simulation and field measurement of dynamic pavement loading, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 56, 297-313, 2001.