This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison of Engine Knock Metrics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 23, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this work is to compare and contrast standard metrics that are used to quantify engine knock phenomena. Several methods found in the literature were investigated, and the fundamental bases for the methods were elucidated. A new knock onset metric was developed and compared to the commonly used threshold value exceeded metric. The standard knock intensity metrics were categorized based on the underlying signal (pressure, heat release), domain of analysis (time or frequency), and the calculation method (single-valued or integral). Each category was evaluated based on the fundamental advantages and disadvantages of that category. Single-value methods were found to be inadequate because they are prone to biases due to wave interference and beating. Heat release-based metrics were found to be redundant and be based on flawed assumptions. The time- or frequency-domain integration of the pressure oscillation energy were found to be the most reliable indicator of knock intensity.
CitationShahlari, A. and Ghandhi, J., "A Comparison of Engine Knock Metrics," SAE Technical Paper 2012-32-0007, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-32-0007.
- Warnatz, J. Maas, U. Dibble, R.W. “Combustion : physical and chemical fundamentals, modeling and simulation, experiments, pollutant formation,” Springer Berlin 3540259929 165 175 2006
- Draper, C.S. “Pressure Waves Accompanying Detonation in the Internal Combustion Engine,” J. Aeronautical Sciences 5 6 1938
- Eng, J. “Characterization of Pressure Waves in HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2859 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2859
- Tess, M. “Diesel Engine Combustion Size Scaling at Medium Load Without EGR,” M.S thesis Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison 2010
- Worret, R. Bernhardt, S. Schwarz, F. Spicher, U. “Application of Different Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1668 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1668
- Lee, J. Hwang, S. Lim, J. Jeon, D. et al. “A New Knock-Detection Method using Cylinder Pressure, Block Vibration and Sound Pressure Signals from a SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 981436 1998 10.4271/981436
- Burgdorf, K. Denbratt, I. “Comparison of Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 972932 1997 10.4271/972932
- Xiaofeng, G. Stone, R. Hudson, C. Bradbury, I. “The Detection and Quantification of Knock in Spark Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 932759 1993 10.4271/932759
- Zavala, J. Folkerts, C. “Knock Detection and Estimation Based on Heat Release Strategies,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1409 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1409