This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of the Internal and External Biofidelity of Current Rear Impact ATDs to Response Targets Developed from Moderate-Speed Rear Impacts of PMHS
Published October 29, 2012 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
The goal of this study is to evaluate both the internal and external biofidelity of existing rear impact anthropomorphic test devices (BioRID II, RID3D, Hybrid III 50th) in two moderate-speed rear impact sled test conditions (8.5g, 17 km/h; 10.5g, 24 km/h) by quantitatively comparing the ATD responses to biomechanical response targets developed from PMHS testing in a corresponding study. The ATDs and PMHS were tested in an experimental seat system that is capable of simulating the dynamic seat back rotation response of production seats. The experimental seat contains a total of fourteen load cells installed such that external loads from the ATDs and PMHS can be measured to evaluate external biofidelity. The PMHS were instrumented to correspond to the instrumentation contained in the ATDs so that direct comparison between ATDs and PMHS could be made to evaluate internal biofidelity. The NHTSA Biofidelity Ranking system was used to quantitatively evaluate the biofidelity of the ATDs and an additional tool was introduced and utilized which allows for the biofidelity score to be partitioned into components of amplitude, phase, and shape. For internal biofidelity, the BioRID II and RID3D were more biofidelic than the Hybrid III in the 17 km/h test, and the BioRID II was most biofidelic in the 24 km/h test. For external biofidelity, the BioRID II was most biofidelic in the 17 km/h test, while both the BioRID II and the RID3D were more biofidelic than the Hybrid III in the 24 km/h test. Overall, the BioRID II demonstrated the best biofidelity in both the 17 km/h and 24 km/h tests.
CitationMoorhouse, K., Donnelly, B., Kang, Y., Bolte IV, J. et al., "Evaluation of the Internal and External Biofidelity of Current Rear Impact ATDs to Response Targets Developed from Moderate-Speed Rear Impacts of PMHS," SAE Technical Paper 2012-22-0005, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-22-0005.
- Bertholon, N., Robin, S., Le Coz J.Y., Potier, P., Lassau, J.P., Skalli, W., 2000. Human head and cervical spine behaviour during low-speed rear-end impacts: PMHS sled tests with a rigid seat. IRCOBI Conference 2000, pp. 265-277.
- BioRID II user manual, Robert A. Denton, Inc., 2001/2009.
- Bortenschlager, K., Kramberger, D., Barnsteiner, K., Hartlieb, M., Ferdinand, L., Leyer, H., Muser, M., Schmitt, K.-U., 2003. Comparison tests of BioRID II and RID2 with regard to repeatability, reproducibility and sensitivity for assessment of car seat protection potential in rear-end impacts. 47th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2003-22-0021, pp. 473-488.
- Cappon, H.J., Philippens, M.M.G.M., van Ratingen, M.R., Wismans, J.S.W.M., 2000. Evaluation of Dummy Behaviour during Low Severity Rear Impact. IRCOBI Conference 2000, pp. 53-66.
- Cappon, H., Philippens, M., van Ratingen, M., Wismans, J., 2001. Development and evaluation of a new rear-impact crash dummy: The RID 2. 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2001-22-0010.
- Croft, A. and Philippens, M., 2007. The RID2 biofidelic rear impact dummy: A pilot study using human subjects in low speed rear impact full scale crash tests. Journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention, 39, pp. 340-346.
- Davidsson, J., Svensson, M.Y., Flogard, A., Haland, Y., Jakobsson, L., Linder, A., Lovsund, P., Wiklund, K., 1998b. BioRID I - A new biofidelic rear impact dummy. IRCOBI Conference 1998, pp. 377-390.
- Davidsson, J., Flogard, A., Lovsund, P., Svensson, M. Y., 1999a. BioRID P3- Design and performance compared to Hybrid III and volunteers in rear impacts at ΔV=7 km/h. 43rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 99SC16.
- Davidsson, J., Lovsund, P., Ono, K., Svensson, M. Y., Inami S., 1999b. A comparison between volunteer, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III performance in rear impacts. IRCOBI Conference 1999, pp. 165-178.
- EEVC, 2002. Ad-hoc group on cervical spine injuries, Working group 12 report, Document No. 157.
- Eppinger, R. H., Marcus, J. H., Morgan, R. M., 1984. Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA's thoracic side impact protection research program. SAE Paper No. 840885
- Gotou, T., Ono, K., Ito, M., Matuoka, F., 2001. A comparison between BioRID AND Hybrid III head/neck/torso response in middle speed sled rear impact tests. 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No.116.
- Hybrid III user manual for the 50th percentile male test dummy. SAE, 2005.
- Hu, A. S., Bean, S. P., Zimmerman, R. M., 1977. Response of belted dummy and cadaver to rear impact. 21st Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 770929.
- Ishikawa, T., Okano, N., Ishikura, K., Ono, K., 2000. An Evaluation of Prototype Seats Using BioRIDP3 and Hybrid III with TRID Neck. IRCOBI Conference 2000, pp. 379-391.
- Kallieris, D., Rizzetti, A., Mattern, R., Thunnissen, J., Philippens, M., 1996. Cervical human spine loads during traumatomechanical investigations. IRCOBI Conference 1996, pp. 89-106.
- Kang, Y., Moorhouse, K., Bolte, J., 2011. Measurement of 6 DOF head kinematics in impact conditions employing six accelerometers and three angular rate sensors (6a □ configuration). J. Biomechanical Eng. In-press
- Kang, Y., Moorhouse, K., Donnelly, B., Herriot, R., Bolte, J., 2012. Biomechanical Responses of PMHS in Moderate-Speed Rear Impacts and Development of Response Targets for Evaluating the Internal and External Biofidelity of ATDs. 56th Stapp Car Crash Conference.
- Kim, A., Anderson, K. F., Berliner, J., Hassan, J., Jensen, J., Mertz, H. J., Pietsch, H., Rao, A., Scherer, R., Sutterfield, A., 2003. A biofidelity evaluation of the BioRID II, Hybrid III and RID2 for use in rear impacts. 47th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2003-22-0022, pp. 489-523.
- Kim, A., Sutterfield, A., Rao, A., Anderson, K.F., Berliner, J., Hassan, J., Irwin, A., Jensen, J., Kleinert, J., Mertz, H.J., Pietsch, H., Rouhana, S., Scherer, R., 2005. A Comparison of the BioRID II, Hybrid III, and RID2 in Low-Severity Rear Impacts. 19th International Technical Conference of the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No. 05-0225.
- Kuppa, S., 2004. Injury criteria and anthropomorphic test devices for cervical spine injury assessment. NHTSA Docket No. 19807.
- Mallory, A., and Stammen, J., 2007. Comparative evaluation of rear impact ATDs static seat interaction and dynamic testing. NHTSA Docket No. 2007-27986-19.
- Mertz, H. J. and Patrick, L. M., 1967. Investigation of the kinematics and kinetics of cervical spine. 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 670919.
- Molino, L., 1998. Determination of moment-deflection characteristics of automobile seat backs. NHTSA Docket No. 1998-4064-26.
- NHTSA, 2004, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Head Restraints (FMVSS 202a), Federal Register 49 CFR Part 571, Docket no. NHTSA-2004-19807, December 14, 2004.
- Philippens, M., Wismans, J., Cappon, M., Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F., 2000. Whole body kinematics using post mortem human subjects in experimental rear impact. IRCOBI Conference 2000, pp. 363-378.
- Philippens, M., Cappon, M., van Ratingen, Wismans, J., Svensson, M., Sirey, F., Ono, K., Nishimoto, N., Matsuoka, F., 2002. Comparison of the rear impact biofidelity of BioRID II and RID2. 46th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2002-22-0023, pp. 461-476.
- RID3D user manual, TNO Automotive, 2007.
- Rhule, H., Maltese, M., Donnelly, B., Eppinger, R., Jill, B., Bolte, J., 2002. Development of a new biofidelity ranking system for anthropomorphic test devices. 46th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2002-22-0024.
- Rhule, D., Rhule, H., Donnely, B., The Process of Evaluation and Documentation of Crash Test Dummies for Part 572 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Paper 05-0284. Proc. 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV).
- Rhule, H., Moorhouse, K., Donnelly, B., Stricklin, J., 2009. Comparison of WORLDSID and ES-2RE biofidelity using updated biofidelity ranking system. 21st International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No.09-0563.
- Sano, K., Dokko, Y., Negishi, H., Goto, T., Ono, K., Warren, J., 2001. Development of a cervical spine injury reducing seat system using BioRID II dummy. 17th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No.370.
- Siegmund, G. P., Heinrichs, B. E., Lawrence, J. M., 2001. Kinetic and kinematic responses of the RID 2a, Hybrid III and Human Volunteers in low-speed rear-end collisions. 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2001-22-0011.
- Van den Kroonenberg, A., Philippens, M., Cappon, H., Wismans, J., Hell, W., Langwieder, K., 1998. Human head-neck response during low-speed rear end impacts. 42nd Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 983158.
- Viano, D. C., 2002 Role of the Seat in Rear Crash Safety, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, Pa.
- Willis, C., Carroll, J., Roberts, A., 2005. An evaluation of a current rear impact dummy against human response corridors in both pure and oblique rear impact. 19th International Technical Conference of the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No. 05-0061.
- Yoganandan, N., Pintar, F., Stemper, B., Schlick, M., Philippens, M., Wismans, J., 2000. Biomechanics of human occupants in simulated rear crashes: Documentation of neck injuries and comparison of injury criteria. 44th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-SC14.
- Zellmer, H., Stamm, M., Seidenschwang, A., Brunner, A., 2001. Enhancement of seat performance in low-speed rear impact. 17th International Technical Conference of the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No. 231.