This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Dynamic Modeling Toolbox for Air Vehicle Vapor Cycle Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 22, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern air vehicles face increasing internal heat loads that must be appropriately understood in design and managed in operation. This paper examines one solution to creating more efficient and effective thermal management systems (TMSs): vapor cycle systems (VCSs). VCSs are increasingly being investigated by aerospace government and industry as a means to provide much greater efficiency in moving thermal energy from one physical location to another. In this work, we develop the AFRL (Air Force Research Laboratory) Transient Thermal Modeling and Optimization (ATTMO) toolbox: a modeling and simulation tool based in Matlab/Simulink that is suitable for understanding, predicting, and designing a VCS. The ATTMO toolbox also provides capability for understanding the VCS as part of a larger air vehicle system. The toolbox is presented in a modular fashion whereby the individual components are presented along with the framework for interconnecting them. The modularity allows for easy user re-configurability as well as the ability to scale from simple to full vehicle systems. A computational environment is discussed that allows for simulations running many times faster than real-time. Simulation results are presented for a laboratory scale test stand system consisting of both single and multiple evaporators. The simulations are verified against experimental results demonstrating the potential of the tool.
CitationKania, M., Koeln, J., Alleyne, A., McCarthy, K. et al., "A Dynamic Modeling Toolbox for Air Vehicle Vapor Cycle Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2172, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2172.
- McCarthy, K. Walters, E. Heltzel, A. Elangovan, R. et al. “Dynamic Thermal Management System Modeling Electric Aircraft of a More,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2886 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2886
- Cengel, Yunus A. Boles, Michael A. Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach New York McGraw-Hill 2008
- Jain, Neera Dynamic Modeling and Validation of a Commercial Transport Refrigeration System Urbana, Illinois University of Illinois MS Thesis 2009
- Li, Bin Dynamic Modeling and Control of Vapor Compression Cycle Systems with Shut-down and Start-up Operations Urbana, Illinois University of Illinois MS Thesis 2009
- Otten, Richard Superheat Control for Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Systems: Simulation and Experiments Urbana, Illinois University of Illinois MS Thesis 2010
- Rasussen, B Alleyne, A “Control-Oriented Modeling of Transcritical Vapor Compression Systems.” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 2004 54 64
- Li, B Otten, R Chandan, V Mohs, W Berge, J Alleyne, A “Optimal On-Off Control of Refrigerated Transport Systems.” Control Engineering Practice 2010 1406 1417
- Eldredge, Brian Improving the Accuracy and Scope of Control-Oriented Vapor Compression Cycle System Models Urbana, Illinois University of Illinois MS Thesis 2006
- Cheng, T Asada, HH “Nonlinear Observer Design for a Varying-Order Switched System with Application to Heat Exchangers.” Proceedings of the ACC Minneapolis, MN 2006 2898 2903
- He, XD Liu, S Asada, H “Modeling of Vapor Compression Cycles for Advanced Controls in HVAC Systems.” Proceedings of the ACC Seattle, WA 1995 3664 3668
- Jensen, JM Tummescheit, H “Moving Boundary Models for Dynamic Simulations of Two-Phase Flows.” Proceedings of the Second International Modelica Conference Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany 2002 235 244
- Leducq, D Guilpart, J Trystram, G “Low Order Dynamic Model os a Vapor Compression Cycle for Process Control Design.” Journal of Food Process 2003 193 199
- McKinley, Thomas Alleyne, Andrew “An Advanced Nonlinear Switched Heat Exchanger Model for Vapor Compression Cycles using the Moving-Boundary Method.” International Journal of Refrigeration 2008 1253 1264
- Willatzen, M Pettit, NBOL Ploug-Sorensen, L “A Generan Dynamic Simulation Model for Evaporators and Condensers in Refrigeration.” International Journal of Refrigeration 1998 398 403
- Rasmussen, Bryan Dynamic Modeling and Advanced Control of Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Systems Urbana, Illinois University of Illinois PhD Thesis 2005