This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rapid Access to High-Resolution Thermal/Fluid Component Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 22, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Although computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations have been widely used to successfully resolve turbulence and boundary layer phenomena induced by microscale flow passages in advanced heat exchanger concepts, the expense of such simulations precludes their use within system-level models. However, the effect of component design changes on systems must be better understood in order to optimize designs with little thermal margin, and CFD simulations greatly enhance this understanding. A method is presented to introduce high resolution, 3-D conjugate CFD calculations of candidate heat exchanger cores into dynamic aerospace subsystem models. The significant parameters guiding performance of these heat exchangers are identified and a database of CFD solutions is built to capture steady and unsteady performance of microstructured heat exchanger cores as a function of the identified parameters and flow conditions. The CFD database serves as the engine for an algorithm that rapidly calculates heat transfer, temperatures in both internal and external fluid streams, hydraulic loss in both fluid streams, core mass, and transient response of a core based on user definition of micro parameters and rectilinear core dimensions. We also demonstrate that this capability can be used within thermal management system models of a generic strike aircraft. Such an approach based on component representation can accelerate the concept-to-fabrication timeframe of emerging technologies, replacing steady-state, reduced-order predictions with unsteady, high-resolution models without sacrificing computational expense.
CitationHeltzel, A., McCarthy, K., and Patnaik, S., "Rapid Access to High-Resolution Thermal/Fluid Component Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2170, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2170.
- McCarthy, K. Raczkowski, B. Amrhein, M. Walters, E. et al. “Automated Model Evaluation and Verification of Aircraft Components,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1806 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1806
- Wu, P. Little, W.A. “Measurement of the heat transfer characteristics of a gas flow in fine channel heat exchangers used for microminiature refrigerators,” Cryogenics 24 415 420 1984
- Fischer, A. “Design of a Fuel Thermal Management System For Long Range Air Vehicles,” 3d Int. Energy Conv. Eng. Conf., AIAA 2005-5647 2005
- Maser, A. Garcia, E. Mavris, D. “Thermal Management Modeling for Integrated Power Systems in a Transient, Multidisciplinary Environment,” 45 th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conf. and Ex., AIAA 2009-5505 2009
- Gamble, E. Haid, D. “Thermal Management and Fuel System Model for TBCC Dynamic Simulation,” 46 th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conf. and Ex., AIAA 2010-6642 2010
- Qu, W. Mudawar, I. “Flow boiling heat transfer in two-phase micro-channel heat sinks-I. Experimental investigation and assessment of correlation methods,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 46 2755 2771 2003
- Peng, X.F. Peterson, G.P. “Convective heat transfer and flow friction for water flow in microchannel structures,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 39 2599 2608 1996
- Morini, G.L. “Single-phase convective heat transfer in microchannels: a review of experimental results,” Int. J. Thermal Sciences 43 631 651 2004
- Ng, E.Y.K. Poh, S.T. “CFD Analysis of double-layer microchannel conjugate parallel liquid flows with electric double-layer effects,” Numer. Heat Transfer A 40 735 749 2001
- Glockner, P.S. Naterer, G.F. “Surface tension and frictional resistance of thermocapillary pumping in a closed microchannel,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 49 4424 4436 2006
- Martinelli, M. Viktorov, V. “Modelling of laminar flow in the inlet section of rectangular microchannels,” J. Micromech. Microeng. 19 025013 2009
- Wang, G. Hao, L. Cheng, P. “An experimental and numerical study of forced convection in a microchannel with negligible axial heat conduction,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 52 1070 1074 2009
- Naphon, P. Khonseur, O. “Study on the convective heat transfer and pressure drop in the micro-channel heat sink,” Int. Comm. Heat Mass Transfer 36 39 44 2009
- Fedorov, A.G. Viskanta, R. “Three-dimensional conjugate heat transfer in the microchannel heat sink for electronic packaging,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 43 399 415 2000
- Qu, W. Mudawar, I. “Experimental and numerical study of pressure drop and heat transfer in single-phase micro-channel heat sink,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 45 2549 2565 2002
- Lelea, D. Nishio, S. Takano, K. “The experimental research on microtube heat transfer and fluid flow of distilled water,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 47 2817 2830 2004
- Croce, G. D'Agaro, P. “Numerical analysis of roughness effect on microtube heat transfer,” Superlattices and Microstructures 35 601 616 2004
- Magnico, P. “Analysis of permeability and effective viscosity by CFD on isotropic and anisotropic metallic foams,” Chem. Eng. Science 64 3564 3575 2009
- Kopanidis, A. Theodorakakos, A. Gavaises, E. Bouris, D. “3D numerical simulation of flow and conjugate heat transfer through a pore scale model of high porosity open cell metal foam,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 53 2539 2550 2010
- Krishnan, S. Murthy, J.Y. Garimella, S.V. “Direct simulation of transport in open-cell metal foam,” J. Heat Transfer 128 793 800 2006
- Cai, W. Moore, A. L. Zhu, Y. Li, X. Chen, S. Shi, L. Ruoff, R.S. “Thermal Transport in Suspended and Supported Monolayer Graphene Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition,” Nano Lett. 10 1645 1651 2010
- Balandin, A. A. Ghosh, S. Bao, W.Z. Calizo, I. Teweldebrhan, D. Miao, F. Lau, C.N. “Superior Thermal Conductivity of Single-Layer Graphene,” Nano Lett. 8 3 902 907 2008
- Ghosh, S. Bao, W. Nika, D. L. Subrina, S. Pokatilov, E. P. Lau, C.N. Balandin, A.A. “Dimensional crossover of thermal transport in few-layer graphene,” Nature Materials 9 555 558 2010
- Heltzel, A. Mishra, C. Ruoff, R. Fleming, A. “Analysis of an ultrathin graphite-based compact heat exchanger,” Heat Transfer Eng. 2012
- SOLIDWORKS ® 2010 User Manual 3DS, Inc.
- ANSYS ® Workbench 13.0, User Manual ANSYS, Inc.
- ANSYS ® CFX 13.0, User Manual ANSYS, Inc.
- Heltzel, A. “Simulation of emerging heat exchanger technologies for progressive aerospace platforms,” Proc. 48 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Mtg. , AIAA-2010-291 2010
- Shah, R.K. Sekulic, D.P. Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design John Wiley & Sons 2003