This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
System Design for the More Electric Engine Incorporated in the Electrical Power Management for More Electric Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 22, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a study on electrical power management for the More Electric Aircraft (or MEA) and the More Electric Engine (or MEE). This study explored power management solutions based on an integrated engine/power control system and a permanent magnet motor. In recent years, electrical power management has emerged as a key aspect of aircraft system design. In cases in which the Electromechanical Actuator (or EMA) systems are used for flight control, the power bus systems must also be designed to dissipate the power regenerated from flight control systems. In their study, the authors focused on achieving an optimal balance between aircraft power management and operational requirements of the aero-engines. The study results suggest an effective and novel power control concept based on integrated engine control technologies that ensure stable power systems.
CitationOyori, H., Morioka, N., Kakiuchi, D., Shimomura, Y. et al., "System Design for the More Electric Engine Incorporated in the Electrical Power Management for More Electric Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2169, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2169.
- Boglietti, A., Cavagnino, A., Tenconi, A., and Vaschetto, S., “The Safety Critical Electric Machines and Drives in the More Electric Aircraft: a Survey” Industrial Electronics, 2009. IECON ‘09. 35th Annual Conference of IEEE 3-5 Nov. 2009 pp. 2587-2594
- Zähringer, Christian, Stastny, Karel, Ardey, Sabine “Towards the Powerhouse for More Electric Aircraft -Dedicated Engine Concepts” Proceedings of International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines 2009, Montreal, Canada, ISABE-2009-1166
- Wheeler, P., Clare, J., Bozhko, S., and Kulshreshtha, A., “Regeneration in Aircraft Electrical Power Systems?,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2898, 2008, doi: 10.4271/2008-01-2898.
- McLoughlin, A. “Engine Powerplant Electrical Systems” More Electric Aircraft Forum
- Newman, R., “The More Electric Engine Concept,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3128, 2004, doi: 10.4271/2004-01-3128.
- Oyori, H., Morioka, N., Seta, M., Shimomura, Y. et al., “A Motor Control Design for the More Electric Aero Engine Fuel System,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2619, 2011, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-2619.