This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design of Helicopter Autopilot
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 22, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, we study a problem of control system design for small-scale helicopter that has been applied to a robotic helicopter project. The structure of the mathematical models of single-rotor helicopter and the description of its constituent elements are presented. The general mathematical model of a helicopter is a complex multivariable system. This model consists of nonlinear differential equations of the helicopter dynamics, the kinematics and auxiliary equations. The control forces and moments, and also the external disturbances, that affecting on helicopter flight, are in the right side of the dynamic equations. It is necessary to have experimental data for helicopter flight parameters to get adequate auxiliary equations. Those equations have been applied to associate the control forces and moments, to control positions of actuators. In this paper we present the experimental results, estimation algorithms and data-processing. The experimental study includes a series of test flights combining with sets of basic flight configurations, such as take-off/landing, take-off/hovering and etc. The control signals have been recorded during flight tests. There are a set of signals connected to actuators of collective/cyclic pitch mechanism, tail rotor and engine. In postprocessing procedure we are suggesting approaches of data smoothing and filtering. The procedure includes estimation algorithms of the helicopter mass center, forces and moments that affecting on the helicopter. Those estimations are based on helicopter dynamics. This paper presents the results of helicopter mathematical model study, algorithms of helicopter control system synthesis and autopilot structure. The helicopter control system is based on algorithms of position-trajectory control. The hardware and software parts of autopilot are described in the paper. This paper shows results of hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) simulation of helicopter autopilot performance including the mathematical model and external wind disturbances.
CitationPshikhopov, V., Sergeev, N., Medvedev, M., and Kulchenko, A., "The Design of Helicopter Autopilot," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2098, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2098.
- Pshikhopov, V. The approach to control a motion of mobile objects in a priory nonformalized environments // Proceedings of the SFU. Engineering. Special Issue “Advanced control systems.” - TTI SFU, 2008, No. 12. - pp. 6-20.
- Pshikhopov, V., Medvedev, M. The estimation and control of complex dynamic systems. - Fizmatlit, 2009. pp. 295.
- Pshikhopov, V., Medvedev, M. The methods of the synthesis of a adaptive control systems for the aircrafts// Proceedings of the SFU. Engineering. 2010. V. 104. No. 3. pp. 187-196.
- Pshikhopov, V., Medvedev, M. The autopilot structure synthesis of mobile objects with disturbance estimation // Moscow., The systems of control and measuring. 2006. No.1. pp.103-109.
- Pshikhopov, V., Medvedev, M., Siritenko, M., Nosko, E., Urchenko, A. The design of robotic control systems based on the airship. Proceedings of the TSURE. 2006, V. 58. Number 3. pp. 160-167.
- Pshichopov, V. The position and trajectory control of mobile objects. Taganrog, TTI SFU press, 2009.
- Kostukov, V., Kulchenko, A. The simulation of trajectory following of single-rotor small-scale helicopter, VI International Scientific and Practical Internet-Conference “Special project: analysis of scientific research” in 2011.
- Kulchenko, A. The operation algorithms of robotic helicopter. // Engineering herald of Done, 2011.
- Kulchenko, A. The hardware and software implementation of robotic helicopter simulator. Proceedings of the Kabardino-Balkar Scientific Center, RAS.
- Kulchenko, A., Fedorenko, R. The structural and algorithmic organization of the control system of UAV based on a mini-helicopter / / Advanced Systems and Control Problems: Herald of the Fifth Russian scientific-practical conference. - TTI, 2010-C. 135-139.
- Medvedev, M. The algorithms for adaptive control of the actuators. / / Mechatronics, Automation and Control. 2006, No. 6. pp. 17-22.
- Medvedev, M. The structure and algorithmic support of the nonlinear observer including the random noise. / / Proceedings of the SFU. Engineering. No. 12. In 2008. pp. 20-25.