This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling Simulation and Experimental Verification of an Excavator Hydraulic System - Load Sensing Flow Sharing Valve Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the results of a study focused on the mathematical modeling of an excavator hydraulic system. From the viewpoint of designing and tuning an efficient control system, the excavator is a very complex nonlinear plant. To design and tune such a complex control system an extremely good nonlinear model of the plant is necessary. The problem of modeling an excavator is considered in this paper; a nonlinear mathematical model of an excavator has been developed using the AMESim® modeling environment to replicate actual operating conditions. The excavator model is described by detailed models of the main pump, valve block and kinematic model. The objective of this research is to develop a complete simulation model of an excavator with the capability of reproducing the actual characteristics of the system. The model could then be used as a platform to facilitate the study of alternate control strategies towards energy efficient systems and new controller designs for HIL. The novelty in the modeling approach is that the detailed component models have been developed to replicate actual conditions while not being demanding on computational time. This has been achieved through a balance of semi-empirical models, while maintaining the flexibility of varying the gain characteristics of the components for enhancing system performance. The benefit of this model is it provides an advantage on computational time for complex system modeling while not compromising on the systems characteristics. Hence, this paper presents the developed model of a complete excavator system with detailed verification of individual components and preliminary results of a complete excavator system.
|Technical Paper||A Commercial Excavator: Analysis, Modelling and Simulation of the Hydraulic Circuit|
|Technical Paper||Application of Mathematical Models to Detect and Diagnose Reciprocating Compressor Valve Leakage|
CitationCasoli, P., Anthony, A., and Ricco, L., "Modeling Simulation and Experimental Verification of an Excavator Hydraulic System - Load Sensing Flow Sharing Valve Model," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2042, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2042.
- Wu, D. Burton, R. Schoenau, G. Bitner, D. 2007 “Analysis of a Pressure -Compensated Flow Control Valve” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control March 2007 129 203 211
- Zimmerman, J. Ivantysynova, M. 2011 “Hybrid displacement controlled multi-actuators hydraulic systems” The Twelfth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power May 18 20 2011 Tampere, Finland 978-952-15-2520-9
- Inderelst, Martin Losse, Stephan Sigro, Sebastian Murrenhoff, Hurbertus 2011 “Energy efficient system layout for work hydraulics of excavators” The Twelfth Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power May 18 20 2011 Tampere, Finland 978-952-15-2520-9
- Ivantysyn, J. Ivantysynova, M. 2003 “Hydrostatic Pumps and Motors” Tech Books Int. New Delhi, India 81-88305-08-1
- Casoli, P. Anthony, A. Rigosi, M. “Modeling of an Excavator System - Semi Empirical Hydraulic Model,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 4 1 242 255 2011 10.4271/2011-01-2278
- LMS Imagine - AMESim ® Reference manual 2009
- Casoli, Paolo Anthony, Alvin 2011 “Modeling of an Excavator - Pump Nonlinear Model and Structural Linkage/Mechanical Model” Proc. of 12 th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power 25 40 3 May 18 20 2011 Tampere, Finland 978-952-15-2520-9
- Merrit, H.E. 1967 “Hydraulic Control Systems” Wiley New York
- McCloy, D. Martin, H. M. 1973 “The control of Fluid Power” Longman London 1973 0-85312-135-4
- Blakburn, J. F. Reethof, G. Shearer, J. L. 1966 “Fluid Power Control” USA MIT Press 1966 0262520044
- Casoli, P. Vacca, A. Anthony, A. Berta, G.L. 2010 “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of the Hydraulic Circuit for the Rear Hitch Control in Agricultural Tractors” 7 th International Fluid Power Conference 51 63 1 Aachen 22 24 03 2010 978-3-940565-90-7
- Anthony, Alvin Casoli, Paolo Vacca, Andrea 2010 “Analysis of a tractor rear hitch control system” Proc. Of 6 th FPNI-PhD Symposium West Lafayette 15 19 June 2010 589 602 FPNI Fluid Power Net Publications 2010 1-932739-15-7
- Lin, Shih-Tin 2002 “Stabilization of Baumgarte's” Method Using the Runge-Kutta Approach, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 124 4 633 641 December 2002