This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NVH Improvement of Vehicle Powertrain
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper provides an investigation to improve vehicle powertrain NVH performance via modification of excitation and radiation system of powertrain. First of all, considering different excitation mechanisms of the powertrain, the excitation forces are analyzed. The FEM/BEM coupled analysis and the acoustic transfer vector (ATV) calculation as well as panel contribution analysis are applied to investigating the acoustic characteristics of the powertrain. Then a hybrid approach which couples the transmission gear profile modification for attenuating gear system excitation and the transmission housing modification for reducing transmission housing noise radiation is proposed to improve powertrain NVH performance. Experiment validation is conducted in order to assess the modified results. The assessment shows that this hybrid approach can effectively predict and reduce powertrain noise and vibration.
CitationLu, S., Feng, H., and Zuo, Z., "NVH Improvement of Vehicle Powertrain," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2007, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2007.
- Bousseau, Y. and Gagliardini, L., “Powertrain Acoustic Characterization at High Frequencies: Acoustic Source Modeling Based on Sound Intensity Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1457, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1457.
- Jeong, G., Jeong, W. and Wan, S., “Optimization of Crank Angles to Reduce Excitation Forces and Moments in Engines,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol.21, No.2, pp.272-281,2007
- Lu, Y. and D'Souza, K., “Acoustic Analysis of Isolated Engine Valve Covers,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1674, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1674.
- Evans, D. and Ward, A., “Minimising Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for Diesel Powertrains,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2485, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2485.
- Feng, H., Zuo, Z., Liao, R. and Ma, C, “Outer Sound Field Simulation of a Diesel Engine Based on Coupled BEM/FEM Method,” Transactions of Csice, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 155-161,2004
- Platten, M., Blockley, C., James, B., Prabahakaran, S. and Scott, D., “Optimization of Gear Microgeometry for Durability and NVH,” Sound & Vibration, Vol.43, No.4, pp.7-10, 24, 2009
- Hwang, J., Kim, D., Jeong, W., Shin, D. et al., “Optimization of the High Frequency Noise for the Passenger Car Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2082, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2082.