This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Fuel Injector Design Optimization Using CFD and 1D Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fuel injector performance is critical for fuel efficiency, combustion process, emissions, start ability, acceleration and combustion noise. The injector design is a complicated process. Simulation tools are playing an important role in virtual design, which could evaluate performance and optimize the design. This paper describes how analysis is used to identify and resolve the cause of low kidney pressure when oil pressure in rail is high in a diesel injector. 1D system performance analysis tool and 3D CFD analysis tool are utilized together to identify the potential causes of the problem. The test results are compared with the simulation results to determine the root cause. 1D and CFD tools are used again to setup the design target and optimize the design. The test shows that the optimum design provided by 1D analysis and 3D analysis effectively solves the low kidney pressure problem in the fuel injector. The paper presents the analysis procedures and methods of root cause identification, design target setup, and optimization of injector design. It shows an example of 1D system simulation and 3D CFD simulation could work well together to solve the design problem and optimize the design.
CitationTan, Y., Kiedaisch, J., and Gravante, S., "Diesel Fuel Injector Design Optimization Using CFD and 1D Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1970, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1970.
- Čaika, V. Sampl, P. Tatschl, R. Krammer, J. et al. “Coupled 1D-3D Simulation of Common Rail Injector Flow Using AVL HYDSIM and FIRE,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0029 2009 10.4271/2009-24-0029
- Kolade, B. Morel, T. Kong, S. “Coupled 1-D/3-D Analysis of Fuel Injection and Diesel Engine Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0928 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0928
- Lee, J. Min, K. Kang, K. Bae, C. “Hydraulic Simulation and Experimental Analysis of Needle Response and Controlled Injection Rate Shape Characteristics in a Piezo-driven Diesel Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1119 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1119
- Argueyrolles, B. Dehoux, S. Gastaldi, P. Grosjean, L. et al. “Influence of injector nozzle design and cavitation on coking phenomenon,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1896 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1896
- Bianchi, G. Falfari, S. Parotto, M. Osbat, G. “Advanced Modeling of Common Rail Injector Dynamics and Comparison with Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0006 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0006