This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Energy Absorption Assessment of Composite Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to meet the stringent crashworthy regulations and to improve the fuel economy more and more composite materials have been used in automotive industry. The damage and the corresponding failure mechanisms of the composite materials during loading are entirely different from the isotropic materials. The numerical modeling of the above and prediction of the corresponding performance parameters of a composite structure are very important. Normally, the numerical modeling of the composite structures was done with a single layer of shell or solid elements. However, the approach of using single layer of elements cannot capture the effect of delamination which causes the split of the composite structures through thickness. In order to prove this an axial impact study was conducted on cylindrical pultruded glass polyester composite tubes. Furthermore, a new innovative approach was adopted using multiple layers of shell and solid elements to predict the accurate energy absorption and the corresponding failure patterns of the composite tubes. Furthermore, to capture the delamination in each lay-up zero thickness cohesive elements have been introduced. The results from this numerical approach were verified and validated with the experimental results.
CitationPalanivelu, S. and Jindal, A., "Numerical Energy Absorption Assessment of Composite Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1923, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1923.
- Mamalis, A.G. Robinson, M. Manolakos, D. E. Demosthenous, G. A. Ioannidis, M. B. Carruthers, J. Crashworthy capability of composite material structures Composite Structures 1997 37 2 109 134
- Bolukbasi, A.O. Laananen, D. H. Energy absorption in composite stiffeners Composites 1995 26 4 291 301
- Farely, G.L. Energy absorption in composite materials Journal of Composite Materials 1983 17 167
- Hamada, H. Ramakrishna, S. Satoh, H. Crushing mechanism of carbon fiber/PEEK composite tubes Composites 1995 26 11 749 755
- Ramakrishna, S. Hull, D. Energy absorption capability of epoxy composite tubes with knitted carbon fiber fabric reinforcement Composites Science and Technology 1993 49 4 349 356
- Han, H. Taheri, F. Pegg, N. Lu, Y. A numerical study on the axial crushing response of hybrid pultruded and +/−45[degree sign] braided tubes Composite Structures 2007 80 2 253 264
- Mamalis, A.G. Manolakos, D. E. Ioannidis, M. B. Papapostolou, D. P. The static and dynamic axial collapse of CFRP square tubes: Finite element modelling Composite Structures 2006 74 2 213 225
- Markopoulos, Y.P. Kostopoulos, V. On the Low Velocity Impact Response of Laminated Composite Plates Utilising the p-Version Ritz Method Advanced Composite Letters 2003 12 5 13
- Mamalis, A.G. Manolakos, D. E. Ioannidis, M. B. Kostazos, P. K. Crushing of hybrid square sandwich composite vehicle hollow body shells with reinforced core subjected to axial loading: numerical simulation Composite Structures 2003 61 3 175 186
- Bisagni, C. Di Pietro, G. Fraschini, L. Terletti, D. Progressive crushing of fiber-reinforced composite structural components of a Formula One racing car Composite Structures 2005 68 4 491 503
- Farley, G.L. Energy absorption of composite materials Journal of Composite Materials 1983 17 267 279
- Mamalis, A.G. Manolakos, D.E. Viegelahn, G. L. Crashworthy behaviour of thin-walled tubes of fiberglass composite material subjected to axial loading Journal of Composite Materials 1990 24 72
- Mamalis, A.G. Manolakos, D.E. Ioannidis, M. B. Papapostolou, D. P. On the experimental investigation of crash energy absorption in laminate splaying collapse mode of FRP tubular components Composite Structures 2005 70 4 413 429
- Thornton, P.H. Energy absorption in composite structures Journal of Composite Materials 1979 13 247
- ABAQUS User manual ABAQUS, Inc. and Dassault Systems 2007
- Warrior, N.A. Turner, T. A. Robitaille, F. Rudd, C.D. Effect of resin properties and processing parameters on crash energy absorbing composite structures made by RTM Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 2003 34 6 543 550
- ABAQUS Theory manual ABAQUS, Inc. and Dassault Systems 2007