This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Energy Absorption Assessment of Composite Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 24, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to meet the stringent crashworthy regulations and to improve the fuel economy more and more composite materials have been used in automotive industry. The damage and the corresponding failure mechanisms of the composite materials during loading are entirely different from the isotropic materials. The numerical modeling of the above and prediction of the corresponding performance parameters of a composite structure are very important. Normally, the numerical modeling of the composite structures was done with a single layer of shell or solid elements. However, the approach of using single layer of elements cannot capture the effect of delamination which causes the split of the composite structures through thickness. In order to prove this an axial impact study was conducted on cylindrical pultruded glass polyester composite tubes. Furthermore, a new innovative approach was adopted using multiple layers of shell and solid elements to predict the accurate energy absorption and the corresponding failure patterns of the composite tubes. Furthermore, to capture the delamination in each lay-up zero thickness cohesive elements have been introduced. The results from this numerical approach were verified and validated with the experimental results.
CitationPalanivelu, S. and Jindal, A., "Numerical Energy Absorption Assessment of Composite Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1923, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1923.
- Mamalis, A.G., Robinson, M., Manolakos, D. E., Demosthenous, G. A., Ioannidis, M. B., and Carruthers, J. Crashworthy capability of composite material structures. Composite Structures, 1997. 37(2): p. 109-134.
- Bolukbasi, A.O. and Laananen, D. H. Energy absorption in composite stiffeners. Composites, 1995. 26(4): p. 291-301.
- Farely, G.L. Energy absorption in composite materials Journal of Composite Materials, 1983. 17: p. 167.
- Hamada, H., Ramakrishna, S., and Satoh, H. Crushing mechanism of carbon fiber/PEEK composite tubes. Composites, 1995. 26(11): p. 749-755.
- Ramakrishna, S. and Hull, D. Energy absorption capability of epoxy composite tubes with knitted carbon fiber fabric reinforcement. Composites Science and Technology, 1993. 49(4): p. 349-356.
- Han, H., Taheri, F., Pegg, N., and Lu, Y. A numerical study on the axial crushing response of hybrid pultruded and +/−45[degree sign] braided tubes. Composite Structures, 2007. 80(2): p. 253-264.
- Mamalis, A.G., Manolakos, D. E., Ioannidis, M. B., and Papapostolou, D. P. The static and dynamic axial collapse of CFRP square tubes: Finite element modelling. Composite Structures, 2006. 74(2): p. 213-225.
- Markopoulos, Y.P., Kostopoulos, V. On the Low Velocity Impact Response of Laminated Composite Plates Utilising the p-Version Ritz Method. Advanced Composite Letters, 2003. 12(5): p. 13.
- Mamalis, A.G., Manolakos, D. E., Ioannidis, M. B., and Kostazos, P. K. Crushing of hybrid square sandwich composite vehicle hollow body shells with reinforced core subjected to axial loading: numerical simulation. Composite Structures, 2003. 61(3): p. 175-186.
- Bisagni, C., Di Pietro, G., Fraschini, L., and Terletti, D. Progressive crushing of fiber-reinforced composite structural components of a Formula One racing car. Composite Structures, 2005. 68(4): p. 491-503.
- Farley, G.L., Energy absorption of composite materials Journal of Composite Materials, 1983. 17: p. 267-279.
- Mamalis, A.G., Manolakos, D.E., and Viegelahn, G. L. Crashworthy behaviour of thin-walled tubes of fiberglass composite material subjected to axial loading. Journal of Composite Materials, 1990. 24: p. 72.
- Mamalis, A.G., Manolakos, D.E., Ioannidis, M. B., and Papapostolou, D. P. On the experimental investigation of crash energy absorption in laminate splaying collapse mode of FRP tubular components. Composite Structures, 2005. 70(4): p. 413-429.
- Thornton, P.H., Energy absorption in composite structures. Journal of Composite Materials, 1979. 13(247).
- ABAQUS User manual. ABAQUS, Inc. and Dassault Systems 2007.
- Warrior, N.A., Turner, T. A., Robitaille, F., and Rudd, C.D. Effect of resin properties and processing parameters on crash energy absorbing composite structures made by RTM. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 2003. 34(6): p. 543-550.
- ABAQUS Theory manual. ABAQUS, Inc. and Dassault Systems, 2007.