This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Evaluation in Braking Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 17, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the application of an air-coupled ultrasonic non-destructive evaluation (NDE) method for aircraft braking materials. The main objective of this research work was to identify and characterize flaws such as delaminations, cracks, porosity (resin pockets), and disbonds in commercial Carbon/Carbon (C/C) composite aircraft brake disks.
Air-coupled ultrasonic testing (ACUT) method was applied for the inspection of commercial C/C brake disks. Several tests were performed by using various air-coupled ultrasonic transducers at center frequencies 50, 120, 125, 225, 400, and 436 kHz in a through-transmission mode by varying scan increments and resolutions. It was found that a testing frequency of 125 kHz provided the best results for commercial C/C composite aircraft brake disks. The relative through-transmitted ultrasonic signal drop in the defect areas was around −18 dB which allowed for easy distinction of abnormal regions within the C/C brake disks. In addition, material inhomogeneity within the C/C brake disks was also revealed by the ACUT C-scan results.
CitationPoudel, A., Chu, T., and Filip, P., "Application of Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Evaluation in Braking Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1809, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1809.
- Fitzer, E., “Carbon Fibres and Their composites,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.
- Savage, G., “Carbon-Carbon Composites,” Chapman & Hall, London, 1993.
- Bryne, C., “Modern Carbon Composite Brake Materials,” Journal of Composite Materials, 38: 1837-1850, 2004.
- Fitcher, E., and Manocha, L. M., “Carbon Reinforcements and Carbon/Carbon Composites,” Springer, Berlin, 1988.
- Ko, T. H., and Hone, K. W., “Changes in Microstructure and Mechanical properties of Stabilized Fiber Reinforced Phenolic Resin Composites During Pyrolysis to Carbon/Carbon Composites,” SAMPE Journal, 28: 17-23, 1992.
- Ozcan, S., Tezcan, J., and Filip, P., “Microstructure and Elastic Properties of Individual Components of C/C composites,” Carbon, 47(15): 3403-3414, 2009.
- Pan, Y. C., Miller, R. A., Chu, T. P., and Filip, P., “Thermal Diffusivity Mapping of Carbon/Carbon Composite,” Material Evaluation, 67(5): 540-546, 2009.
- Pan, Y. C., Chu, T. P., and Filip, P., “Intelligent Nondestructive Testing Expert System for Carbon-Carbon Composites Using Infrared Thermography,” Materials Evaluation, 69(7): 834-842, 2011.
- Chu, T.C., Don, J., Pan, Y.C., and Poudel, A., “Non-Destructive Evaluation of Carbon-Carbon Composites Using Infrared Thermography,” World Journal of Engineering, 2011.
- Poudel, A., Chu, T. P., Pan, Y. C., and Filip, P., “A Circular Air-coupled Ultrasonic Testing Technique for the Inspection of Commercial Carbon-Carbon Composite Aircraft Brake Disks,” Proceedings of 2011 ASNT Fall Conference, Palm Springs, CA, October 24-28, 2011.
- Poudel, A., and Chu, T. P., “An Intelligent Systems Approach for Detecting Defects in Commercial Carbon-Carbon Composite Aircraft Brake Disk by using Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Testing,” Presented at ASNT 20th Annual Research Symposium and Spring Conference, San Francisco, California, March 21-25, 2011, CD ROM.
- Im, K. H., Hsu, D. K., and Jeong, H., “Material Property Variations and Defects of Carbon/Carbon Brake Disks Monitored by Ultrasonic Methods,” Composites, 31(8): 707-713, 2000.
- Liu, C. B., Huang, M. J., Pan, Y. C., Shedlock, D., and Chu, T. P., “Detection of Discontinuities in Carbon-Carbon Composites using X-ray Compton Backscatter Radiography: Radiography by Selective Detection,” Materials Evaluation, 70(3): 367-377, 2012.
- Grandia, W. A., and Fortunko, C. M., “NDE Applications of Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Transducers”, Proceedings of IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 1: 697-709, 1995, doi: 10.1109/ULTSYM.1995.495667.
- Hsu, D. K. and Barnard, D. J., “Inspecting Composites With Airborne Ultrasound: Through Thick and Thin,” Rev. Prog. Quantitative NDE, ed. by Thompson, D.O. and Chimenti, D.E, AIP, 25: 991-998, 2006, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.2184633.
- Kommareddy, V., Peters, J., Dayal, V., and Hsu, D. K., “Air-coupled Ultrasonic Measurement in Composites,” Rev. Prog. Quantitative NDE, ed. by Thompson, D.O. and Chimenti, D.E, AIP, 23: 859-866, 2004, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1711709.
- Peters, J., Kommareddy, V., Liu, Z., Fei, D., and Hsu, D. K., “Non-contact Inspection of Composites Using Air-coupled Ultrasound,” Rev. Prog. Quantitative NDE, ed. by Thompson, D.O. and Chimenti, D.E, AIP, 22: 973-980, 2003, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.1570239.
- Krautkramer, J. and Krautkramer, H., “Ultrasonic Testing of Materials,” 4th Edition, Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- Yokono, Y., Matsubara, S., and Utoyama, S., “Air-coupled Ultrasonic Inspection Technique for FRP Structure”, Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Conference on NDT, Auckland, New Zealand, November 5-10, 2006.
- Howard, E. B. and Timothy, L. G., “Metals Handbook,” American Society for Metals, Materials Park, OH, 1985.
- Stonawski, O., “Non-destructive evaluation of carbon/carbon brakes using air-coupled ultrasonic inspection systems,” Master's Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 2008.