This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parallel-Through-The-Road Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle Design Development Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Wayne State University (WSU) EcoCAR 2 Team designed the conversion of a GM donated 2013 Chevrolet Malibu to a Parallel-Through-The-Road (PTTR) Plug-In Hybrid vehicle within a 9 month timeframe. This fast prototyping project used the EcoCAR 2 Vehicle Development Process (EVDP). Various tradeoffs were made to meet all competition requirements and to make the vehicle as competitive as possible within budget, time and experience limitations. The chosen PTTR architecture, nicknamed by the team as “E2D2” (Ethanol-Electric Dual-Drivetrain), provides up to 35.7 electric only miles and a fuel economy of 60 miles per gallons gasoline equivalent (mpgge) or 3.96 liters gasoline equivalent (lge) per one hundred km. This is accomplished using an E85 engine-driven front traction system and a battery-electric-motors-driven rear traction system. The team developed the control system and designed the packaging and integration of all required components including the Energy Storage System (ESS).
|Technical Paper||Refinement and Testing of an E85 Split Parallel EREV|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Toyota Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||A Study of Fuel Economy Improvement of Small Delivery Hybrid Trucks|
CitationRegev, I., Snyder, K., Ku, J., Harish, R. et al., "Parallel-Through-The-Road Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle Design Development Process," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1772, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1772.
- EcoCAR 2 Non-Year-Specific-Rules, Rev. E February 14 2012 Argonne National Laboratories
- Autonomie Initialization for GM 2.4L E85 engine Vijayagopal, R. ANL October 2011
- The Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions, and Energy Use in Transportation Model Argonne National Laboratories 2011
- Electric Powertrain Module Magna E-car Systems September 2011
- PowerPhase 125 Spec Sheet UQM 2011
- Remy HVH250-090-SOM Oil Cooled Electric Motor Remy Electric Motors August 18 2011
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Information Report “Utility Factor Definitions for Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles Using Travel Survey Data,” SAE Standard J2841 Sept. 2010
- Battery Sub-System Design Specifications, Interface Control Document V1.0 A123 Systems October 7 2011
- MicroAutoBox II Specifications dSpace 2011
- ASM, dSpace 2011
- PM100DX Data Sheet Rinehart Motion Systems October 23 2009