This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Oil Filter Clogging Rule - Correlation between Mileage and Lab Test Clogging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Oil Filter change interval is widely defined as a mileage, expressed in Kilometres/Miles of the Vehicle driven. On the other hand, for convenience, repeatability and differentiation reasons, the Filter life time is evaluated in the laboratory test bench according to standard test methods. The Life Time is expressed in grams of calibrated dust injected into the filter inlet so as to clog it. The most commonly used test standard is ISO 4548-12 . So far, there is no widely known and recognized relation between the service time in kilometres and the dust holding capacity according to ISO standard. The purpose of the following study was to establish a relationship between ISO standard dust capacity and the ability of the filter to successfully achieve the service interval in 90% of cases. A large number of used filters were collected and analysed in order to conduct a statistical analysis. Impacts of fuel type, engine displacement and road conditions were identified. At the end a clogging rule was established. The paper concludes that for some filter applications, it is possible to reduce the required ISO dust capacity which opens the door to filter size reduction or enhanced engine protection through higher filtration efficiency.
|Technical Paper||Alternative Test Methods for Long Term Dynamic Effects of Vehicle Seats|
|Technical Paper||Statistical Amplitude Distribution Analyzer|
CitationBonne, S. and Arnault, N., "Oil Filter Clogging Rule - Correlation between Mileage and Lab Test Clogging," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1754, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1754.
- Petiteaux, M. “Analytical Life Prediction Modeling for Diesel Fuel Filters Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1100 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1100
- El Faouzi, N.-E MAURIN, M. Sur la loi de la somme des variables log-normales: application à la fiabilité des temps de parcours routiers INRETS, LTE
- Augé, J.C. Modélisation de l'influence de l'environnement sur la fiabilité des vérins hydrauliques et pneumatiques Thèse Ecole Centrale de Lyon 1998 25
- Devlin, C. Passut, C. Campbell, R. Jao, T. “Biodiesel Fuel Effect on Diesel Engine Lubrication,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2375 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2375
- Urzedowska, Oil and gas Institute, Poland Influence of Diesel Biofuels on engine oils deterioration - Extended methods of engine oils assessment' F2010-A-074
- Zdrodowski, R. Gangopadhyay, A. Anderson, J. Ruona, W. et al. “Effect of Biodiesel (B20) on Vehicle-Aged Engine Oil Properties,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 579 597 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2103
- ISO 4548-12 Methods of test for full-flow lubricating oil filters for internal combustion engines. Part 12: Filtration efficiency using particle counting, and contaminant retention capacity
- Shimokoji, D. Okuyama, Y. Maruyama, M. ‘Effetct of Bio Diesel Fuel on Sludge Prevention Performance of Engine Oil’ Honda technical review Apr. 2009 189 195