This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Intake Air Filter Condition on Light-Duty Gasoline Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Proper maintenance can help vehicles perform as designed, positively affecting fuel economy, emissions, and the overall drivability. This effort investigates the effect of one maintenance factor, intake air filter replacement, with primary focus on vehicle fuel economy, but also examining emissions and performance. Older studies, dealing with carbureted gasoline vehicles, have indicated that replacing a clogged or dirty air filter can improve vehicle fuel economy and conversely that a dirty air filter can be significantly detrimental to fuel economy. The effect of clogged air filters on the fuel economy, acceleration and emissions of five gasoline fueled vehicles is examined. Four of these were modern vehicles, featuring closed-loop control and ranging in model year from 2003 to 2007. Three vehicles were powered by naturally aspirated, port fuel injection (PFI) engines of differing size and cylinder configuration: an inline 4, a V6 and a V8. A turbocharged inline 4-cylinder gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine powered vehicle was the fourth modern gasoline vehicle tested. A vintage 1972 vehicle equipped with a carburetor (open-loop control) was also examined.
Results reveal insignificant fuel economy and emissions sensitivity of modern vehicles to air filter condition, but measureable effects on the 1972 vehicle. All vehicles experienced a measured acceleration performance penalty with clogged intake air filters.
|Technical Paper||Fuel economy, emissions and noise of multi-spray light duty DI diesels–current status and development trends|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Diesel Fuel S.I. Engine Using an Ultrasonic Atomizer|
CitationThomas, J., West, B., Huff, S., and Norman, K., "Effect of Intake Air Filter Condition on Light-Duty Gasoline Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1717, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1717.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Final Technical Support Document Fuel Economy Labeling of Motor Vehicle Revisions to Improve Calculations of Fuel Economy Estimates EPA420-R-06-017 December 2006
- U.S. Department of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy/U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Fuel Economy Guide
- Jaroszczyk, T. Wake, J. Connor, M. J. “Factors Affecting the Performance of Engine Air Filters,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 115 693 699 October 1993
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Automobile Fuel Consumption in Actual Traffic Conditions OECD Paris December 1981 74 78
- Atkinson, J. Postle, O. “The Effect of Vehicle Maintenance on Fuel Economy,” Blackmore, D. R. Thomas, A. Fuel Economy of the Gasoline Engine Shell Research Limited, Thornton Research Center Chester, United Kingdom 1977
- Bugli, Neville J. Automotive Engine Air Cleaners-Performance Trends
- Grafe, Timothy et al. “Nanofibers in Filtration Applications in Transportation,” International Conference and Exposition of the INDA (Association of the Nowovens Fabric Industry) Chicago, Illinois December 3 5 2001
- Patil, A. S. Halbe, V. G. Vora, K. C. “A System Approach to Automotive Air Intake System Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-011 2005 10.4271/2005-26-011
- Zemaitis, W. “Stacked Panel Filter for Engine Air Intake Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 980868 1998 10.4271/980868
- Bugli, N. Green, G. “Performance and Benefits of Zero Maintenance Air Induction Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1139 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1139
- Bugli, N. Dobert, S. Flora, S. “Investigating Cleaning Procedures for OEM Engine Air Intake Filters,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1431 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1431
- Thiyagarajan, P. Ganesan, V. “Study of Flow through Air Filter for Off Highway Vehicle-A Preliminary CFD Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-339 2005 10.4271/2005-26-339
- Knoll, Keith et al. “Effects of Intermediate Ethanol Blends on Legacy Vehicles and Small Non-Road Engines, Report 1 - Updated,” ORNL/TM-2008/117 February 2009
- Norman, Kevin et al. “Effect of Intake Air filter Condition on Vehicle Fuel Economy” Oak Ridge National Laboratory Feb. 2009
- Brian, H. West et al. Intermediate Ethanol Blends Catalyst Durability Program Oak Ridge National Laboratory Oak Ridge, Tennessee February 2012