This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Investigations into Diesel High-Pressure Spray - Wall Interaction under Various Ambient Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents experimental and model research related to the fuel spray - wall interaction in terms of pressure and air back-pressure variability. Using a constant volume chamber the authors performed a qualitative and quantitative analysis of the fuel spray reaching the piston. The experimental research was supported with a model research using the FIRE 2010 software by AVL. On this basis the fuel concentration and its distribution in individual areas of the combustion chamber were determined (in the piston combustion chamber). A greater impact of the injection pressure (rather than the back-pressure) on the fuel spray distribution in the combustion chamber was observed and on the fuel spray interaction with the chamber walls in the piston.
In such a case the problems of the contact of a liquid fuel with the cylinder walls and/or the combustion chamber walls is becoming increasingly important in terms of the fuel film formation and HC emission intensification. This problem intensifies when Start/Stop systems are used (during engine restart under lower temperatures of the combustion chamber walls and when injecting fuel divided into a higher number of doses.
The results of the experimental research were also used for the simulation model and the results of this simulation were used for the evaluation of other physical quantities (diameter of the droplets) that could not be ascertained through the results of the experiment.
|Technical Paper||Correlation of Air Charge Temperature and Ignition Delay for Several Fuels in a Diesel Engine|
|Technical Paper||CFD Modeling and Validation of the ECN Spray G Experiment under a Wide Range of Operating Conditions|
CitationWislocki, K., Pielecha, I., Czajka, J., and Stobnicki, P., "Experimental and Numerical Investigations into Diesel High-Pressure Spray - Wall Interaction under Various Ambient Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1662, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1662.
- Andreassi, L. Ubertini, S. Allocca, L. “Experimental and numerical analysis of high pressure diesel spray-wall interaction,” International Journal of Multiphase Flow 33 7 742 765 2007 10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2007.01.003
- Manuel, A. Gonzalez, D. Borman, G. Reitz, R. “A Study of Diesel Cold Starting using both Cycle Analysis and Multidimensional Calculations,” SAE Technical Paper 910180 1991 10.4271/910180
- Joelsson, T. “PDPA Measurements of Diesel Fuel Droplets Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall,” Master's Thesis Chalmers University of Technology Gothenburg 2007
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Ogawa, H. Muranaka, S. et al. “New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3681 1999 10.4271/1999-01-3681
- Lippert, A. Stanton, D. Reitz, R. Rutland, C. et al. “Investigating the Effect of Spray Targeting and Impingement on Diesel Engine Cold Start,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0269 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0269
- Liu, Y. Reitz, R. “Optimizing HSDI Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Multiple Injection Strategies,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0212 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0212
- Magnusson, A. Begliatti, M. Hervás, F.B. Andersson, M. “Characterization of Wall Film Formation from Impinging Diesel Fuel Sprays using LIF,” 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems ILASS - Europe 2010 Czech Republic, Brno September 6 8 2010
- Magnusson, A. Joelsson, T. Turcan, F. Andersson, S. “Characterization of Diesel Model Fuel Sprays Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall using Rapid Thermocouples and PDPA (Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer),” 22nd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems ILASS - Europe 2008 Italy September 8 10 2008
- Matsson, A. Jacobsson, L. Andersson, S. “The Effect of Elliptical Nozzle Holes on Combustion and Emission Formation in a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1251 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1251
- Meingast, U. Staudt, M. Reichelt, L. Renz, U. et al. “Analysis of Spray/Wall Interaction Under Diesel Engine Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0272 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0272
- Montorsi, L. Magnusson, A. Andersson, S. “A Numerical and Experimental Study of Diesel Fuel Sprays Impinging on a Temperature Controlled Wall,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3333 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3333
- Montorsi, L. Magnusson, A. Andersson, S. Jedrzejowski, S. “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of the Wall Film Thickness for Diesel Fuel Sprays Impinging on a Temperature-Controlled Wall,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0486 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0486
- Osuka, I. Nishimura, M. Tanaka, Y. Miyaki, M. “Benefits of New Fuel Injection System Technology on Cold Startability of Diesel Engines - Improvement of Cold Startability and White Smoke Reduction by Means of Multi Injection with Common Rail Fuel System (ECD-U2),” SAE Technical Paper 940586 1994 10.4271/940586
- Pickett, L. López, J. “Jet-Wall Interaction Effects on Diesel Combustion and Soot Formation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0921 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0921
- Senecal, P. Reitz, R. “Simultaneous Reduction of Engine Emissions and Fuel Consumption Using Genetic Algorithms and Multi-Dimensional Spray and Combustion Modeling,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1890 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1890
- Wickman, D. Yun, H. Reitz, R. “Split-Spray Piston Geometry Optimized for HSDI Diesel Engine Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0348 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0348
- Zahdeh, A. Henein, N. Bryzik, W. “Diesel Cold Starting: Actual Cycle Analysis Under Border-Line Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 900441 1990 10.4271/900441