This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Analysis of Two Injection Systems Fueled with Biodiesel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 10, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents experimental results concerning the fueling of two injection systems for D.I. Diesel engines with biodiesel fuel. The neat biodiesel (B100) was obtained from waste vegetable oil (collected from a local branch of McDonald's), using the base catalyzed method; diesel fuel was also used in order to test the injection equipments and obtain reference values. The in-line fuel injection pumps used during the tests were RO-PES4A90D410RS2240 and PES5MW55/320/RS/120403 (Bosch), with the corresponding high-pressure fuel lines and injectors. The injection equipment was mounted on a MIRKOZ test bed, equipped with pressure transducers, rotation angle transducer and a BOSCH injection rate meter. The tests were performed at different pump speeds and displacements of the injection pump control rack. The following injection characteristics were investigated: cyclic fuel delivery, injection duration, pressure wave propagation time, average injection rate, peak injection pressure. For the both types of injection equipment, cyclic fuel delivery, injection duration and peak injection pressure increased when biodiesel was used as fuel (compared to diesel fuel), while the average injection rate and pressure wave propagation time decreased.
CitationRosca, R., Manolache, G., Carlescu, P., and Tenu, I., "Comparative Analysis of Two Injection Systems Fueled with Biodiesel," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1657, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1657.
- “Directive 2003/30/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 8 May 2003 on the promotion of the use of biofuels or other renewable fuels for transport” Official Journal of the European Union L123 42 46 http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2003:123:0042:0042:EN:PDF
- Caresana, F. “Impact of biodiesel bulk modulus on injection pressure and injection timing. The effect of residual pressure” Fuel 90 477 485 2011
- Prankl, H. Wörgetter, M. “Standardization of Biodiesel. Sectorial Report Biodiesel of NTB-nett Phase II” Report of the Federal Institute of Agricultural Engineering Wieselburg, Austria 1997
- Rice, B. Frohlich, A. Leonard, R. “Bio-diesel Production based on Waste Cooking Oil: Promotion of the Establishment of an Industry in Ireland” ALTENER Contract no. XVII/4.1030/AL/77/95/IRL Agriculture and Food Development Authority Ireland 1997
- Kegl, Breda “Biodiesel usage at low temperature” Fuel 87 1307 1316 2008
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York 0-07-028637-X 1988
- Rosca, R. Rakosi, E. Niculaua, M. “Biodiesel for I.C. Diesel Engines from Waste Cooking Oil” Proceedings of the 33 rd International Symposium on Agricultural Engineering Opatija, Croatia 47 54 2005
- Kegl, Breda “Numerical analysis of injection characteristics using biodiesel fuel” Fuel 85 2377 2387 2006
- Torres-Jimenez, Eloisa Dorado, M.P. Kegl, Breda “Experimental investigation on injection characteristics of bioethanoldiesel fuel and bioethanol-biodiesel blends” Fuel 90 1968 1979 2011
- Tat, M.E. Van Gerpen, J.H. “Measurement of biodiesel speed of sound and its impact on injection timing - final report” NREL/SR-510-31462 2003
- Yamane, K. Ueta, A. Shimamoto, Y. “Influence of physical and chemical properties of biodiesel fuel on injection, combustion and exhaust emission characteristics in a DI-CI engine” Proceedings of the 5 th International Symposium COMODIA July 1 4 Nagoya 402 409 2001
- Monyem, A. Van Gerpen, J.H. Canakci, M. “The effect of timing and oxidation on emissions from biodiesel fueled engines” Transactions of ASAE 44 1 35 42 2001
- Senatore, A. Cardone, M. Rocco, V. Prati, M. “A Comparative Analysis of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0691 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0691
- Tat, M.E. “Investigation of oxides of nitrogen emissions from biodiesel-fueled engines” A dissertation submitted to the graduate faculty in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of doctor of philosophy Iowa State University 2003
- Ryan, T. “Correlation of Physical and Chemical Ignition Delay to Cetane Number,” SAE Technical Paper 852103 1985 10.4271/852103
- Grünwald, B. “Theory, design and construction of the ground vehicles engines” Didactical&Pedagogical Publishing House Bucharest 696 697 1980