This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Sound Transmission through Automotive Turbochargers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 7th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The use of turbochargers for production cars has been increasing due to the current trend of engine downsizing. Acoustically, it acts as a damper of the pressure pulsations from the engine that propagate through the intake and exhaust system. This effect is referred to as the passive acoustic properties of a turbocharger. The aim of this paper is to investigate the passive acoustic properties of an automotive turbocharger compressor and turbine and to develop and verify an acoustical model of the turbocharger.
To investigate the acoustic properties such as the transmission loss and the transfer function through these elements under different operating conditions, acoustic two-port measurements were performed on a turbocharger test rig at different flow conditions. A geometry-based acoustical model of the turbocharger was developed for both the compressor and turbine to provide both the transmission loss and the transfer function of these elements and verified by means of non-linear time-domain 1-D gas dynamics simulation.
A good agreement between measurement and simulation of the upstream and downstream acoustic transmission loss of the turbocharger was achieved and it also illustrates an improvement of simulation quality using the new models.
CitationVeloso, R., Elnemr, Y., Reich, F., and Allam, S., "Simulation of Sound Transmission through Automotive Turbochargers," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1560, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1560.
- Heywood, J.B., Internal combustion engine fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, New York, p. 248-70, 1988.
- Baines, Nicholas C, Fundamentals of Turbocharging. Concepts ETI. ISBN 0-933283-14-8, 2005.
- Rämmal, H. and Åbom, M., “Acoustics of Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2205, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2205.
- Raitor, T., Neise, W., Sound generation in centrifugal compressors, Journal of Sound and Vibration 314, 738-756, 2008.
- Alenius, Emma. CFD of Duct Acoustics for Turbocharger Applications. Licentiate Thesis, TRITA-AVE 2010:71, ISSN 1651-7660; ISBN 978-91-7415-828-1, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010.
- Rafael, H. MSc-thesis: A two-port model for a turbo charger compressor and intercooler, TRITA-FKT 2000:01, ISSN 1103-470X, ISRN KTH/FKT/EX-00/01-SE, 2000.
- Peat, K.S., Torregrosa, A. J., Broatch, A., Fernandez, T., An investigation into the passive acoustic of the turbine in automotive turbocharger, Journal of Sound and Vibration 295, 60-75, 2005.
- Stewart, G. W., The theory of the Herschel-Quincke tube, Physical Review 31, 696-698, 1928.
- Rämmal, H. Galindo, J., The passive acoustic effect of turbo-compressors, 9th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging. (Toim.) Institution of Mechanical Engineers. London, UK, 2010.
- Torregrosa, A. J., Broatch, A., Climent, H., Fernandez, T.., Time-domain modeling of turbo-compressors in direct injection diesel engines, Proc. IMechE Part D: J. Automobile Engineering Vol. 220, 2010.
- Rämmal, H. and Åbom, M., “Experimental Determination of Sound Transmission in Turbo-Compressors,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2045, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2045.
- Elnemr, Yasser, Acoustic Modeling and Testing of Exhaust and Intake System Components, Licentiate Thesis, TRITA-AVE 2011:51, ISSN 1651-7660, Stockholm, Sweden, 2011.
- Veloso, Rafael, An investigation into the passive acoustic effect of an automotive turbocharger compressor, Master Thesis, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010.
- Rämmal, H., Åbom, M., Tiikoja, H., and Bodén, H., “Experimental Facility for the Complete Determination of Sound Transmission in Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1424, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1424.
- Tiikoja, H., Rämmal, H., Abom, M., and Boden, H., “Sound Transmission in Automotive Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1525, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1525.
- Tao, Z. and Seybert, A., “A Review of Current Techniques for Measuring Muffler Transmission Loss,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1653, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1653.
- AVL BOOST v2010 Users Guide, Edition, 2010.
- Giannattasio, P., Dadone, A., Applications of a High Resolution Shock Capturing Scheme to the Unsteady Flow Computation in Engine Ducts, Inst. Mech. Eng. C, C430/055, 1991.
- Harten, A., Engquist, B., Osher, S. Chakravarthy, S., Uniformly high order accurate essentially non-oscillatory schemes III, Journal of Computational Physics, 71, 231-303, 1987.