This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition Characteristics of Hydrogen Jets in an Argon-Oxygen Atmosphere
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ignition delay and combustion characteristics of hydrogen jets in an argon-oxygen atmosphere were investigated to provide fundamental data for operating an argon-circulated hydrogen internal combustion engine. Experiments were conducted in a constant-volume combustion vessel to study the effects of ambient temperature, ambient pressure, oxygen concentration and injection pressure on a pre-burning system. The hydrogen-jet penetration and flame were also investigated based on high-speed shadowgraph images. The experimental results indicated that the ignition delay (τ) increases as the ambient temperature (Ti) decreases, similar to the results obtained in an air atmosphere. The heat-release rate results also exhibited similar trends. In addition, other fundamental characteristics were investigated by modifying the oxygen concentration (rO2), ambient pressure (pi) and injection pressure (pj) conditions, which might help in controlling the operation in an argon-circulated hydrogen engine.
CitationMansor, M., Nakao, S., Nakagami, K., Shioji, M. et al., "Ignition Characteristics of Hydrogen Jets in an Argon-Oxygen Atmosphere," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1312, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1312.
- Ikegami, M. Miwa, K. Shioji, M. “A Study of Hydrogen Fuelled Compression Ignition Engines,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 7 4 341 353 1982 10.1016/0360-3199(82)90127-6
- Naber, J.D. Siebers, D.L. “Hydrogen Combustion under Diesel Engine Conditions,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 23 5 363 371 1998 10.1016/S0360-3199(97)00083-9
- Li, H. Karim, G.A. “Knock in Spark Ignition Hydrogen Engines,” Internal Journal of Hydrogen Energy 29 8 859 865 2004 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2003.09.013
- Gomes Antunes, J.M. Mikalsen, R. Roskilly, A.P. “An Experimental Study of a Direct Injection Compression Ignition Hydrogen Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 34 15 6516 6522 2009 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.05.142
- Lilik, G.K. Zhang, H. Herreros, J.M. Haworth, D.C. Boehman, A.L. “Hydrogen Assisted Diesel Combustion,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 35 9 4382 4398 2010 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2010.01.105
- Mohammadi, A. Shioji, M. Nakai, Y. Ishikura, W. “Performance and Combustion Characteristics of a Direct Injection SI Hydrogen Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 2 296 304 2007 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2006.06.005
- Mitani, S. Sawada, D. Kosuda, T. Fujishiro, O. “Study of Increased Thermal Efficiency using Argon Circulated Hydrogen Engine,” Toyota Technical Review 56 1 64 69 2008
- Mitani, S. Sawada, D. Kosuda, T. Fujishiro, O. “Study of Increased Thermal Efficiency using Argon Circulated Hydrogen Engine (Second Report),” Toyota Technical Review 56 2 109 113 2009
- Kuroki, R. Kato, A. Kamiyama, E. Sawada, D. “Study of High Efficiency Zero-Emission Argon Circulated Hydrogen Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0581 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0581
- Killingsworth, N.J. Rapp, V.H. Flowers, D.L. Aceves, S.M. Chen, J.Y. Dibble, R. “Increased Efficiency in SI Engine with Air Replaced by Oxygen in Argon Mixture,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 33 2 3141 3149 2011 10.1016/j.proci.2010.07.035
- Kitamura, Y. Kee, S. Mohammadi, A. Ishiyama, T. et al. “Study on NOx Control in Direct-Injection PCCI Combustion - Fundamental Investigation Using a Constant-Volume Vessel,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0919 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0919
- Naber, J. Siebers, D. Caton, J. Westbrook, C. et al. “Natural Gas Autoignition Under Diesel Conditions: Experiments and Chemical Kinetic Modeling,” SAE Technical Paper 942034 1994 10.4271/942034
- ISHIYAMA, T. SHIOJI, M. IHARA, T. INOUE, T. et al. “Characteristics of Spontaneous Ignition and Combustion in Unsteady High-Speed Gaseous Fuel Jets,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1922 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1922
- Nguyen, N.D. Ishida, H. Shioji, M. “Ignition Delay and Combustion Characteristics of Gaseous Fuel Jets,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power 132 4 042804 2010 10.1115/1.4000115
- Nakao, S. Mansor, M.R.A. Nakagami, K. Shioji, M. Kato, A. “Study on Hydrogen-Jet Developments in the Argon Atmosphere,” Annual Meeting of JSME, CD-ROM, G070054 11-1 1 4 2011
- Shioji, M. Nakamura, K. Miyajima, K. Ikegami, M. Study of High-Pressure Unsteady Gas-Fuel Jets JSAE Paper Number 9640049 1996
- Kawanabe, H. Naito, Y. Kosaka, H. Shioji, M. “CFD Analysis of a High-speed Unsteady Jet,” Heat Transfer-Asian Research 36 1 1 12 2007 10.1002/htj.20141