This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
2-Stroke CAI Combustion Operation in a GDI Engine with Poppet Valves
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to extend the CAI operation range in 4-stroke mode and maximize the benefit of low fuel consumption and emissions in CAI mode, 2-stroke CAI combustion is revived operating in a GDI engine with poppet valves, where the conventional crankcase scavenging is replaced by boosted scavenging. The CAI combustion is achieved through the inherence of the 2-Stroke operation, which is retaining residual gas. A set of flexible hydraulic valve train was installed on the engine to vary the residual gas fraction under the boosting condition. The effects of spark timing, intake pressure and short-circuiting on 2-stroke CAI combustion and its emissions are investigated and discussed in this paper. Results show the engine could be controlled to achieve CAI operation over a wide range of engine speed and load in the 2-stroke mode because of the flexibility of the electro-hydraulic valvetrain system.
CitationZhang, Y., Ojapah, M., Cairns, A., and Zhao, H., "2-Stroke CAI Combustion Operation in a GDI Engine with Poppet Valves," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1118, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1118.
- Zhao, H. HCCI and CAI engines for the Automotive Industry Woodhead Publishing Cambridge 2007
- Zhao, F. Asmus, T.N. Assanis, D.N. Dec, J.E. et al. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-1123-4 2003
- Lavy, J. Dabadie, J. Angelberger, C. Duret, P. et al. “Innovative Ultra-low NOx Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Process for Gasoline Engines: the 4-SPACE Project,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1837 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1837
- Koopmans, L. Denbratt, I. “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3610 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3610
- Law, D. Kemp, D. Allen, J. Kirkpatrick, G. et al. “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0251 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0251
- Zhao, H. Li, J. Ma, T. Ladommatos, N. “Performance and Analysis of a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine with CAI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0420 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0420
- Fuerhapter, A. Piock, W. Fraidl, G. “CSI - Controlled Auto Ignition - the Best Solution for the Fuel Consumption - Versus Emission Trade-Off?,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0754 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0754
- Zhang, Y. Zhao, H. Ojapah, M. Cairns, A. “Effects of Injection Timing on CAI Operation in a 2/4-Stroke Switchable GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1773 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1773
- Zhang, Y. Zhao, H. Ojapah, M. Cairns, A. “Experiment and Analysis of a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Operating with 2-stroke and 4-stroke Cycles of Spark Ignition and Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1774 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1774
- Osborne, R. Stokes, J. Lake, T. Carden, P. et al. “Development of a Two-Stroke/Four-Stroke Switching Gasoline Engine - The 2/4SIGHT Concept,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1137 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1137
- Sadakane, S. Sugiyama, M. Kishi, H. Abe, S. et al. “Development of a New V-6 High Performance Stoichiometric Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1152 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1152
- Ladommatos, N. Zhao, H. “Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 978-0-7680-0665-0 2001 10.4271/R-264
- Heywood, J. B. Sher, E. The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine 3 1999
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals 29 McGraw-Hili, Inc 1988
- Andreae, M. Cheng, W. Kenney, T. Yang, J. “On HCCI Engine Knock,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1858 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1858
- Zhang, Y. Zhao, H. Measurement of short-circuiting and its effect on the CAI combustion in a 2-stroke poppet valve engine Proc. IMechE Part D, IMechE