This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessing the Accuracy of Vehicle Event Data Based on CAN Messages
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicles using controller area networks (CANs) for on-board device communications may have event data recorders (EDRs) that either capture or reflect network feeds from an array of sensors and other electronic control units. Using the data recorded in an EDR for investigative purposes requires external verification of accuracy. However, conducting external tests that set events can be expensive due to the time and equipment involved. This paper proposes a practical verification method that uses CAN bus monitoring tools to compare vehicle network traffic to external measurements. The premise of this work is that data reliability from an EDR can be determined if the reliability of the network data source for the EDR can be determined. Once the reliability of the source is determined, the reliability of the event data can be quantified based on effects of truncation and sampling. Furthermore, message timing and frequency can be quantified based on timestamps from the network analysis tool. Two examples of data analysis are given. The first example shows how to reverse engineer CAN messages from a Mini Cooper and the second example shows the comparison of J1939 message traffic to a sudden deceleration record from a Paccar PX-8 engine. Finally, a low cost hardware/software solution based on the Arduino platform is described to enable such measurements.
CitationMueller, C., Daily, J., and Papa, M., "Assessing the Accuracy of Vehicle Event Data Based on CAN Messages," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1000, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1000.
- Lupini, C. “In-Vehicle Networking Technology for 2010 and Beyond,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0687 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0687
- Goebelbecker, J. Ferrone, C. “Utilizing Electronic Control Module Data in Accident Reconstruction,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0466 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0466
- Lawrence, J. Wilkinson, C. King, D. Heinrichs, B. et al. “The Accuracy and Sensitivity of Event Data Recorders in Low-Speed Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0679 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0679
- Lawrence, J. Wilkinson, C. Heinrichs, B. Siegmund, G. “The Accuracy of Pre-Crash Speed Captured by Event Data Recorders,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0889 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0889
- Reust, T. ““The Accuracy of Speed Captured by Commercial Vehicle Event Data Recorders”,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1199 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1199
- Ruth, R. Daily, J. “Accuracy of Event Data Recorder in 2010 Ford Flex During Steady State and Braking Conditions,” SAE Int. J. of Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 677 699 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0812
- Bare, C. Everest, B. Floyd, D. Nunan, D. “Analysis of Pre-Crash Data Transferred over the Serial Data Bus and Utilized by the SDM-DS Module,” SAE Int. J. of Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4 1 648 664 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0809
- Voss, W. A Comprehensible Guide to Controller Area Network Copperhill Media Corporation 2005
- Bosch, R. “CAN specification version 2.0,” Sept. 1991
- Pfeiffer, O. Ayre, A. Keydel, C. Embedded Networking with CAN and CANopen Copperhill Media Corporation 2008
- Racelogic “VBOX 3i User Guide,” Feb. 2011
- Ruth, R. Bartlett, W. Daily, J. “Speed Accuracy of Event Data Recorder in the 2010 and 2011 Toyota Camry During Steady State and Braking Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0999 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0999
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice “Serial Control and Communications Heavy Duty Vehicle Network - Top Level Document,” SAE Standard J1939 Apr. 2011 SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice “Vehicle Application Layer (Through May 2010),” SAE Standard J1939-71 Mar. 2011
- Bortolin, R. van Nooten, S. Scodeller, M. Alvar, D. et al. “Validating Speed Data from Cummins Engine Sudden Deceleration Data Reports,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 970 982 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0876
- Arduino http://www.arduino.cc. December 2011
- Atmel Corporation “Atmega328 datasheet.” http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc8161.pdf
- Diligent Inc. “chipkit uno32 board reference manual.” http://www.digilentinc.com/Data/Products/CHIPKIT-UNO32/chipKIT%20Uno32_rm.pdf October 2011