This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Vehicle Systems Structural Durability Using PSD Based Fatigue Life Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In current competitive environment automobile industry is under heavy pressure to reduce time to market. First time right design is an important aspect to achieve the time and cost targets. CAE is a tool which helps designer to come up with first time right design. This also calls for high degree of confidence in CAE simulation results which can only be achieved by undertaking correlation exercises.
In automobiles most of the structures are subjected to vibration from dynamic loads. All the dynamic road loads are random in nature and can be very easily expressed in terms of power spectral density functions. In the current scenario structural durability of the parts subjected to vibration is done partially through modal performance and partially though frequency response analysis. The only question that arises is what amplitude to use at what frequency and how to map all the accelerated tests dynamic load frequency spectrum to simulation domain. The paper describes a systematic and economical approach of mapping all the accelerated tests in a single PSD and further using it for vibration fatigue. In addition a good correlation of simulation results with the test data is presented for the PSD based approach.
CitationLondhe, A., Kangde, S., and Moorthy, N., "Evaluation of Vehicle Systems Structural Durability Using PSD Based Fatigue Life Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0953, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0953.
- Halfpenny, Andrew Dr. Methods for accelerating dynamic durability tests 9 th international conference on recent advances in structural dynamics Southampton, UK 2006
- Bishop, Neil Dr. MSC Frimley and Alan Caserio, MSC Costa Mesa Vibration Fatigue Analysis in the Finite Element Environment, Americas User Conference Oct 5 9 Sheraton Universal Hotel, Universal City California
- Halfpenny, A Dr. Accelerated Vibration Testing Based On Fatigue Damage Spectra nCode International 230 Woodbourn Road, Sheffield S9 3LQ, UK
- Su, Hong Ph.D. Automotive CAE Durability Analysis Using Random Vibration Approach CAE Tools and Methods Group Advanced Technology Office, Visteon Corporation
- nCode6.0 glyph works user manual
- Halfpenny, Andrew Environmental Accelerated Testing Use of Virtual Test to Extend Physical Approach, nCode Whitepaper, Astelab 2008
- LMS Virtual Lab Online Help