This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Semi-Floating Piston Pin Boss Formed by Using Oil-Film Simulations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the oil-film bearing analysis simulation was utilized for the optimization of pin boss form which reduces a piston-pin noise. It is clear from the mechanism analysis of the piston-pin noise which is the last research that an oil-film flow inside a pin boss is an important factor for pin noise reduction. So, in this research, the oil-film simulation of the piston-pin-boss bearing part was performed using oil-film bearing analysis tool. After setting up the simulation conditions of the oil-film bearing part so that actual pin behavior and high correlativity might be shown, a parameter, effective hydrodynamic angular velocity, and an oil flow rate of change suitable for evaluation of a pin noise were found out. The pin noise in semi floating piston was reduced to the same level as full floating type by applying pin boss form to which each evaluation parameter becomes the optimal to a piston.
CitationNishikawa, C., "Optimization of Semi-Floating Piston Pin Boss Formed by Using Oil-Film Simulations," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0908, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0908.
- Kondo, T. Ohbayashi, H. “Study of Piston Pin Noise of Semi-Floating System,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0889 2012
- Kondo, T. Ohbayashi, T. Visualization of Oil Behavior when Piston Pin Noise Occurs HONDA R&D Technical Review 23 2 72 77
- Ricardo Software Piston Simulation Tools PISDYN & RINGPAK (Version 5.1) Computer Software Shoreham-by-Sea West Sussex, BN43 5FG, England
- AVL EXCITE Power Unit (Version 2010) Computer Software Hans-List-Platz 1, A-8020 Graz, Austria
- Ozasa, T. Suzuki, S. Noda, T. Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Analysis of Con-Rod Big-End Bearings Toyota Central R&D Review 31 4 Dec. 1996
- Noumura, K. Okada, Y. Sound Quality Evaluation Technique of Vehicle in Consideration of Auditory Characteristic HONDA R&D Technical Review 9 131 139
- Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science Lecture material, Introduction to Tribology http://www.rs.noda.tus.ac.jp/nog/
- Kamiya, M. Kobayashi, T. Take, K. Takahashi, Y. Mihara, Y. Someya, T. Measurement of Piston Skirt Oil-film Pressure when Piston Slap Noise Occurs Honda R&D Technical Review 19 1 149 155
- Kondo, T. Ohbayashi, T. Mechanism Analysis of Piston Pin Noise by Visualization of Oil Behavior JSAE Proceeding , No.153-11 25 28 2011
- Schweizer, Bernhard Dynamics and stability of turbocharger rotors 10.1007/s00419-009-0331-0 Arch Appl Mech 2010 80 1017 1043