This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of Engine Gear-Driven Mass Balance Unit and NVH Performance Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Extensive experimental and numerical investigations with respect to mass balance unit (MBU) were reported to improve the vibration and acoustic performance for inline 4-cylinder engine due to unbalanced inherent secondary order inertial forces. Design of gear-driven MBU with two parallel shafts and two gear pairs which was positioned beneath the crankshaft would be described in the paper. For the sake of compact package and reliable design, the driving gear ring of the system was shrink fitted onto the crankweb, and issues such as lubrication, strength, assembly were taken into account during design process. As a result, 93.66% of 2nd order mass force balance was achieved and2nd vibration level of engine was decreased remarkably. However, acoustical behavior was deteriorated due to gear impact and rattle at the engagement. Extra efforts were paid to solve the unpleasant noise through internal and external excitation optimizations. In the end thanks to good damping property of the material, applying resin material to two driven gears in the original MBU made amazingly improvement in terms of both sound level and sound quality, and the radiated sound pressure was even lower than the engine without MBU, which also indicated that this smart design complies with engineering requirements for series production.
CitationYang, C., Shen, Y., You, Y., and Zhao, F., "Design of Engine Gear-Driven Mass Balance Unit and NVH Performance Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0890, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0890.
- Yang, Chen Hao, Zhiyong Zheng, Guangtai “Balance Mechanism Design of Single Cylinder Engine Based on Continuous Mass Distribution of Connecting Rod” Transactions of Tianjin University 15 4 255 259 2009
- Suh, K. Lee, Y. Yoon, H. “A Study on the Balancing of the Three-Cylinder Engine with Balance Shaft,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0601 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0601
- Stanley, R. Taraza, D. “A Characteristic Parameter to Estimate the Optimum Counterweight Mass of a 4-Cylinder In-Line Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0486 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0486
- Meek, D. Roberts, M. “Balance Shaft Conversion of a Four Cylinder Engine - The Challenges of Packaging and Mechanical Integration,” SAE Technical Paper 981084 1998 10.4271/981084
- Stastny, Johann Ratzberger, Reinhard Fessel, Christoph keber, Andreas “The Balancer Shafts on the New Four-cylinder Diesel Engine from BMW” MTZ worldwide 63 2002 3 10 12 2002
- Gruber, Georg Prandstotter, Mario Hollnbuchner, Robert “The Integrated Balancer Shaft System of the New BMW Four-Cylinder Diesel Engine” MTZ worldwide 69 2008 6 40 45 2002
- Killion, D. Chevalier, S. Tabbert, D. Joo, S. et al. “New “Energy Efficient” Balance Shaft / Oil Pump Module for Hyundai NF,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0405 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0405