This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Evaluation and Components Behavior of Light Duty Diesel Engine after 300 Hours Test Fuelled with Pure Biodiesel: Effects on Reliability and Durability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Pure biodiesel is non-toxic, biodegradable and greenhouse gas neutral alternative fuel with potential successful future but reduced quantitative information is available about the impact of biodiesel on engine durability and long period usage effects. In this study, a commercial light duty Diesel engine installed on an engine test bench has been operated fuelled with pure biodiesel (B100 referred to the EN-14214 standard) during a period test of 300 hours in order to analyze engine performance and components behavior.
A engine characterization has been completed using conventional diesel fuel (EN 590). Then, following a specific defined operation cycle and fuelled with pure biodiesel, a study over different engine components such as: engine oil, fuel filters, Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), so on, has been done in order to obtain possible negative effects and modifications required over maintenance policies applied to them. Furthermore, in order to increase the severity of the test performed, problems related with excessive blowby have been provoked.
Finally, engine and fuel system components were disassembled, inspected, and evaluated to compare main characteristics after long time test.
|Journal Article||Deterioration of B20 from Compression Ignition Engine Operation|
|Technical Paper||Behavior of a Diesel Injection System with Biodiesel Fuel|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Impact of Alternative Fuels on Engine Test and Reporting Procedures|
CitationBermudez, V., Tormos, B., Garcia, A., and Linares, W., "Performance Evaluation and Components Behavior of Light Duty Diesel Engine after 300 Hours Test Fuelled with Pure Biodiesel: Effects on Reliability and Durability," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0865, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0865.
- EUCAR, JRC, CONCAWE 2007 Well-to-wheels analysis of future automotive fuels and powertrains in the European context http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/media/scripts/getfile.php?file=fileadmin/H04/Well_to_Wheels/slides/WTW_010307.pdf
- Toyota Motor Corporation 2004 Well-to-Wheel Analysis of Greenhouse Gas Emissions of Automotive Fuels in the Japanese Context http://www.mizuhoir.co.jp/english/knowledge/documents/wtwghg041130.pdf
- Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia, Ciemat 2006 Análisis de Ciclo de Vida de Combustibles Alternativos para el Transporte. Fase II: Análisis de Ciclo de Vida Comparativo del Biodiésel y del Diésel
- Alam, M. Song, J. Acharya, R. Boehman, A. et al. “Combustion and Emissions Performance of Low Sulfur, Ultra Low Sulfur and Biodiesel Blends in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3024 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3024
- Canakci, M. 2005 Performance and emissions characteristics of biodiesel from soybean oil Proceedings of the I MECH E Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering D7 915 922
- Luján, J.M. Bermudez, V. Tormos, B. Pla, B. Comparative Analysis of a DI Diesel Engine fuelled with Biodiesel blends during the European MVEG-A cycle: Performance and emissions (II) Biomass and Bioenergy 33 2009 948 956
- Freedman, B. Bagby, M.O. 1989 Heats of Combustion of Fatty Esters and Triglycerides Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 66 11 1601 1605
- Dunn, R.O. Bagby, M.O. 1995 Low-Temperature Properties of Triglyceride-Based Diesel fuels: Transesterified Methyl Esters and Petroleum Middle Distillate/Ester Blends Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 72 8 895 904
- Dunn, R.O. Shockley, M.W. Bagby, M.O. 1996 Improving the Low-temperature Properties of Alternative Diesel fuels: Vegetable Oil-Derived Methyl Esters Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 73 12 1717 1729
- Schumacher, L.G. Wetherell, W. Fischer, J.A. 1999 Cold Flow Properties of Biodiesel and its Blends with Diesel Fuel ASAE Meeting Presentation 99-6133
- Fraer, R. Dinh, H. Proc, K. McCormick, R. et al. “Operating Experience and Teardown Analysis for Engines Operated on Biodiesel Blends (B20),” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3641 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3641
- Sem, T. “Effect of Various Lubricating Oils on Piston Deposits in Biodiesel Fueled Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0098 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0098
- Souligny, M. Graham, L. Rideout, G. Hosatte, P. “Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Performance and Comparative Emission Measurements for Different Biodiesel Blends Used in the Montreal BIOBUS Project,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1861 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1861
- Payri, F. Macián, V. Arrègle, J. Tormos, B. et al. “Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Performance and Emission Measurements for Biodiesel (from Cooking Oil) Blends Used in the ECOBUS Project,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2205 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2205
- Tormos, B. Macian, V. Gargar, K. Redon, P. “Results of an Operating Experience for Urban Buses Fuelled with Biodiesel Blends (B50),” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1827 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1827
- Plint, M. Martyr, A. Engine Testing Theory and Practice Butterworth-Heinemann Oxford 1999
- Staat, F. Gateau, P. “The Effects of Rapeseed Oil Methyl Ester on Diesel Engine Performance, Exhaust Emissions and Long-Term Behavior - A Summary of Three Years of Experimentation,” SAE Technical Paper 950053 1995 10.4271/950053
- Rosca, R. Rakosi, E. Manolache, G. Niculaua, M. “Fuel and Injection Characteristics for a Biodiesel Type Fuel from Waste Cooking Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3674 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3674
- Kegl, B Kegl, M Pehan, S Optimization of a fuel injection system for diesel and biodiesel usage Energy and Fuels 2008 22 1046 54
- Luján, J.M. Tormos, B. Salvador, F. J. Gargar, K. Comparative Analysis of a DI Diesel Engine fuelled with Biodiesel blends during the European MVEG-A cycle: Preliminary Study (I) Biomass and Bioenergy 33 2009 941 947
- Tormos, B. Contribución al diagnóstico de motores Diesel basado en el análisis de lubricante usado Doctoral Thesis Universidad Politécnica de Valencia 2002