This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Effects of Ignition Improvers on Ignition Delay Time of Ethanol Combustion with Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work investigates the effects of ignition improvers on the ignition and combustion characteristics of hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight water and 1% by weight Lauric acid (Eh95) under simulated diesel engine conditions using the rapid compression and expansion machine (RCEM). Results indicate that hydrous ethanol with commercial additive (ED95) and hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight glycerol ethoxylate in hydrous ethanol exhibit a near identical rate-of-pressure-rise and heat release rate. Ignition delay of hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight glycerol ethoxylate is shorter, but hydrous ethanol with 1% by weight glycerol ethoxylate has longer ignition delay time and different combustion characteristics compared with hydrous ethanol with commercial additive (ED95). Hydrous ethanol with 1% by weight glycerol ethoxylate and hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight glycerol ethoxylate are considered suitable fuels for high compression-ratio diesel engines. Ignition and combustion characteristics of hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight DEE and hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight biodiesel are similar to hydrous ethanol with 5% by weight water and 1% by weight Lauric acid (Eh95), with the longest ignition delay and the highest peak rate-of-pressure-rise of tested fuels.
CitationMunsin, R., Laoonual, Y., Jugjai, S., Matsuki, M. et al., "Investigation of Effects of Ignition Improvers on Ignition Delay Time of Ethanol Combustion with Rapid Compression and Expansion Machine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0854, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0854.
- Nord, K., Haupt, D., Ahlvik, P., and Egebäck, K., “Particulate Emissions From an Ethanol Fueled Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Equipped With EGR, Catalyst and DPF,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1987, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1987.
- Rodríguez-Fernández, J., Tsolakis, A., Theinnoi, K., Snowball, J. et al., “Engine Performance and Emissions from Dual Fuelled Engine with In-Cylinder Injected Diesel Fuels and In-Port Injected Bioethanol,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1853, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1853.
- Hardenberg, H. and Schaefer, A., “The Use of Ethanol as a Fuel for Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 811211, 1981, doi: 10.4271/811211.
- Saitoh, H., and Uchida, K., “Effect of Hot EGR on Combustion and Emission Characteristics in a Diesel Type Alcohol Engine,” presented at 24th CIMAC World Congress on Combustion Engine Technology, Japan, June 7-11, 2004.
- Fenton, P., “BioEthanol for Sustainable Transport Results and Recommendations from the European BEST Project,” LenandersGrafiska AB, Kalmar, ISBN 978-91-85125-40-1:7-13, 2009.
- Saitoh, H. and Uchida, K., “Difference of Spray Mixture Formation between Gas-Oil and Ethanol in the Constant Volume Electrical Heating Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3617, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-3617.
- Heywood, J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamental,” McGraw-Hill, New York, ISBN 0-07-028637-X:539-553, 1988.
- Saitoh, H. and Uchida, K., “On the Main Factors Governing Auto-Ignition Phenomenon of Alcohol Spray - A Study from the View Point of Fuel Properties -,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2(1):911-920, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1931.
- Siebers, D. and Edwards, C., “Autoignition of Methanol and Ethanol Sprays under Diesel Engine Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 870588, 1987, doi: 10.4271/870588.
- Kobayashi, S., Hori, M., Konno, M., and Kim, Y.K., “Combustion Process of Alcohol Diesel Engine,” presented at The International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA) 1985, Japan, September 4-6, 1985.
- Schaefer, A. and Hardenberg, H., “Ignition Improvers for Ethanol Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 810249, 1981, doi: 10.4271/810249.
- Simonsen, H. and Chomiak, J., “Testing and Evaluation of Ignition Improvers for Ethanol in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 952512, 1995, doi: 10.4271/952512.
- Bailey, B., Eberhardt, J., Goguen, S., and Erwin, J., “Diethyl Ether (DEE) as a Renewable Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 972978, 1997, doi: 10.4271/972978.
- Guarieiro, L.L.N., de Souza, A.F., Torres, E.A., and de Andrade, J.B., “Emission Profile of 18 Carbonyl Compounds, CO, CO2, and NOx Emitted by a Diesel Engine Fuelled with Diesel and Ternary Blends Containing Diesel, Ethanol and Biodiesel or Vegetable Oils,” Atmospheric Environment 43(17):2754-2761, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.02.036.
- Zhu, L., Cheung, C.S., Zhang, W.G., and Huang, Z., “Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Ethanol-Biodiesel Blends Fuel,” Fuel 90(5):1743-1750, 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.fuel.2011.01.024.
- Sun, J., Caton, J.A., and Jacobs, T.J., “Oxides of Nitrogen Emissions from Biodiesel-Fuelled Diesel Engines,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 36(6):677-695, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.pecs.2010.02.004.
- Zhang, N., Huang, Z., Wang, X., and Zheng, B., “A Comparative Study of Two Kinds of Biodiesels and Biodiesel-DEE Blends in a Common Rail Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4(1):96-109, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0640.
- Nord, K., and Haupt, D., “Statistical Evaluation of Rapeseed Methyl Ester as Ignition Improver in an 11 Liters Ethanol Fuelled Diesel Engine,” Luleå University of Technology, Technical report, 2008.
- Allard, L., Webster, G., Hole, N., Ryan, T. et al., “Diesel Fuel Ignition Quality as Determined in the Ignition Quality Tester (IQT),” SAE Technical Paper 961182, 1996, doi: 10.4271/961182.
- Lee, D., Hochgreb, S., and Keck, J., “Autoignition of Alcohols and Ethers in a Rapid Compression Machine,” SAE Technical Paper 932755, 1993, doi: 10.4271/932755.
- Curran, H.J., Dunphy, M.P., and Simmie, J.M., “Shock Tube Ignition of Ethanol, Isobutene and MTBE: Experiments and Modeling,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 24(1):769-776, 1992, doi:10.1016/S0082-0784(06)80094-9.
- Kobori, S. and Kamimoto, T., “Development of a Rapid Compression-Expansion Machine Simulating Diesel Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 952514, 1995, doi: 10.4271/952514.
- Akih-Kumgeh, B. and Bergthorson, J., “Tailoring Ethanol High Temperature Ignition by Means of Chemical Additives and Water Content,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):598-609, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-2113.
- Bika, A., Franklin, L., and Kittelson, D., “Hydrogen as a Combustion Modifier of Ethanol in Compression Ignition Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2814, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2814.
- Channiwala, S.A., and Parikh, P.P., “A Unified Correlation for Estimating HHV of Solid, Liquid and Gaseous Fuels,” Fuel 81(8):1051-1063, 2002, doi:10.1016/S0016-2361(01)00131-4.
- Sigma-Aldrich Corporation., Specification of Glycerol Ethoxylate, Missouri, 2011.
- Tsuda, S., “A Study on Effect of Heterogeneity of Oxygen Concentration and Temperature Distributions in Combustion Chamber on Emissions and Combustion of Diesel Engine,” Master Thesis (in Japanese), Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, 2007.
- Al-Rubaie, M., Griffiths, J., and Sheppard, C., “Some Observation on the Effectiveness of Additives for Reducing the Ignition Delay Period of Diesel Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 912333, 1991, doi: 10.4271/912333.
- Siebers, D. and Higgins, B., “Flame Lift-Off on Direct-Injection Diesel Sprays Under Quiescent Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0530, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0530.