This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Contribution of Tire Driving Stiffness to Vehicle Fuel Economy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent years, the contribution of tires on vehicle fuel economy has been garnering attention. Up until now, rolling resistance coefficient (RRC) has been the standard way of measuring the amount of impact the tire has on fuel economy. We devised a new method for evaluating the impact of tires on fuel economy that incorporates the concept of tire “driving transmission efficiency” (hereinafter referred to as “driving stiffness”). In doing so, we have clarified the technology direction for contributing to the improvement of fuel economy while maintaining vehicle maneuverability by reducing RRC and improving tire driving stiffness.
CitationMogi, E., Notomi, S., Mizone, T., Yamazaki, S. et al., "Study on Contribution of Tire Driving Stiffness to Vehicle Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0794, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0794.
- The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd. “Jidousha-you Taiya no Kenkyuu,” Sankaido Publishing Co., Ltd Tokyo 978-4381100726 151 154 1995
- The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd. “Jidousha-you Taiya no Kenkyuu,” Sankaido Publishing Co., Ltd Tokyo 978-4381100726 155 156 1995
- Mogi, E. Mizone, T. Hase, H. Nishitani, K. Mizutani, T. Takahashi, H. “Research on Optimization of Viscoelastic Properties of Tire Tread Rubber to Reduce Rolling Resistance and Decrease Braking Distance,” Review of Automotive Engineering 29 2 149 155 2008
- Mukai, K. Morita, S. “Analysis of Transfer Efficiency of Vehicle Driving Energy,” Transaction of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series B 58 547 307 311 1992
- Sakai, H. “Taiya Kougaku,” Grand Prix Book Publishing Co., Ltd. Tokyo 4-87687-219-8 172 174 155 157 2001
- Mizone, T. Mogi, E. “Tire driving stiffness measuring apparatus,” U.S. Patent 7963158 June 21 2011
- Mogi, E. Mizone, T. Notomi, S. Watanabe, A. Yamamoto, T. “Considerations concerning the Optimization of Tire Rolling Resistance Measurements,” 2011 JSAE Annual Congress Proceedings, No. 117-11 1 4 2011
- Muramatsu, R. Takahashi, H. “Material Technologies for a Reduction of Rolling Resistance,” Journal of The Society of Rubber Industry, Japan 73 103 109 2000
- Muraoka, K. “Viscoelastic Properties of Rubber Compounds for Tire Application,” Journal of The Society of Rubber Industry, Japan 74 242 247 2001
- Ozawa, Y. Akutagawa, K. Yanagisawa, K. Hiram, Y. “Ecology-Friendly Materials Technologies in Tire,” Journal of The Society of Rubber Industry, Japan 77 219 225 2004