This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Retraction Control of Motorized Seat Belt System with Sliding Mode Observer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the design and verification of a sliding mode observer to estimate the state information of the angular velocity and load torque for a motorized seat belt (MSB) system. The MSB system is a type of active safety system which provides functions to protect passengers and improve passenger convenience. To realize the full range of operations of a MSB system, several types of state information such as the motor current, angular velocity and load torque of the DC motor, the seat belt winding velocity and the position and temperature of the DC motor are necessary. Measuring this state information with sensors leads to an increase in both the system cost and its complexity. Furthermore, it is difficult to measure the load torque of a DC motor, which must be done in order to realize the full range of MSB functions. In this paper, a sliding mode observer is designed and verified to estimate the angular velocity of a DC motor and the load torque, both of which are necessary state information to realize the basic operation of a MSB system without sensors. In addition, a MSB retraction control algorithm with estimated state information is proposed.
|Technical Paper||Comfort and Convenience Improvements to Increase Safety Belt Utilization|
|Technical Paper||More Safety with Vehicle Stability Control|
|Technical Paper||Active Intervention into Passive Systems: From Passive Safety to Safe Driving|
CitationLee, K., Bae, K., and Lee, W., "Retraction Control of Motorized Seat Belt System with Sliding Mode Observer," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0786, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0786.
- Min, Sukki Lee, Jaekwan Kim, Byoungsoo “Development of Pre-Cresh Safety System using Motorized Seat Belt” KSAE Spring Conference 4 KSAE 1219 1224 2004
- Park, Jaesoon Tak, Taeoh Kim, Ilhwan Kuk, Mingu Kim, Daehee Sin, Seongeon Kim, Junghan Lee, Dongsub Kim, Seungman “Driving Mechanism Design of a Motorized Seatbelt Retractor” KSME conference KSME 2951 2956 2006
- Lee, Kangseok Lee, Wootaik “Development of Motorized Seat Belt Control System using Development-process Model” KSAE Conference 4 KSAE 1832 1837 2008
- Luenberger, D.G. “Observing the State of a Linear System” IEEE Transactions on Military Electronics 74 80 1964
- Veluvolu, K.C. Soh, Y.C. Cao, W. “Second-order sliding-mode observer for mechanical systems” Automatic control IEEE 2005 10.1109/TAC.2005.858636
- Caveney, D. “Cooperative Vehicular Safety Applications” Control Systems Magazine IEEE 30 38 53 2010
- Lee, SangHun Lee, SeonBong Park, CheolHu “A Study on the Signal Processing Method for the Hall Sensorless Position Control of ETC System using a BLDC Motor” Transactions of KSAE 16 5 92 99 2008
- Bae, Kyutae Choi, Chinchul Lee, Wootaik “Design of Linear Disturbance State Estimator of Motorized Seat Belt System” KSAE Annual Conference 1993 1998 2010
- Buja, Giuseppe S. Mensi, Roberto Valla, Maria Ines “Disturbance Torque Estimation in a Sensorless DC Drive” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 43 4 August 1995
- Drakunov, S. Rizzoni, G. Wang, Y. “On-Line Estimation of Indicated Torque in IC Engines Using Nonlinear Observers,” SAE Technical Paper 950840 1995 10.4271/950840
- Hasan, M. Anwar, S. “Sliding Mode Observer and Long Range Prediction Based Fault Tolerant Control of a Steer-by-Wire Equipped Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0903 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0903
- Islam, Mohammad S. Husain, Iqbal Veillette, Robert J. Batur, Celal “Design and Performance Analysis of Sliding-Mode Observers for Sensorless Operation of Switched Reluctance Motors” IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY 11 3 383 389 2003
- M'sirdi, N.K. Rabhi, A. Fridman, L. Davila, J. Delanne, Y. “Second order sliding mode observer for estimation of velocities, wheel sleep, radius and stiffness” American Control Conference 2006 10.1109/ACC.2006.1657230
- Roberts, Jo “Use of the Butterworth Low-Pass Filter for Oceanographic Data” Journal of geophysical research 83 C11 5510 5514 November 1978