This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
“Motion in FEA”: An Innovative Approach for More Physical and More Accurate Vehicle Dynamics Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle dynamics is a discipline of mechanical engineering that benefited of significant improvements thanks to the progress of computational engineering. Vehicle dynamics engineers are using CAE for the development of a vehicle with MBS and FEA. The concurrent use of these two technologies is a standard in the automotive industry. However the current simulation process is not fully efficient because local geometrical and material nonlinearities are not accurately modeled in classical MBS software. This paper introduces a methodology for vehicle dynamics simulation integrating MBS capabilities in one single nonlinear FEA environment enabling an accurate modeling of nonlinearity in vehicles.
CitationColsoul, F., Voss, B., and Wissart, T., "“Motion in FEA”: An Innovative Approach for More Physical and More Accurate Vehicle Dynamics Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0762, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0762.
- Zienkiewicz, O.C. The finite element method 3rd McGraw-Hill New York 1977
- Craig, R. Bampton, M. “Coupling of substructures for dynamic analyses” AIAA Journal 6 1968
- Green Propulsion http://www.greenpropulsion.be
- Pacejka, H. B. “Tyre and Vehicle Dynamics” 2nd Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd
- Géradin, M. Cardona, A. “Flexible multi-body dynamics: a finite element approach” John Willey & Sons 2001
- SAMCEF “Système d'Analyse des Milieux Continus par Eléments Finis” www.samtech.com
- Voss, B. Cugnon, F. Prétot, Ph. Granville, D. Bruyneel, M. “Advances in vehicle dynamics simulation with SAMCEF Mecano” 15th International Conference on Vehicle Dynamics SIA Lyon September 23 24 2009
- Virlez, G. Brüls, O. Poulet, N. Duysinx, P. “Multibody Dynamics Analysis of Differentials in Vehicle Drivetrains” The 1st Joint International Conference on Multibody System Dynamics
- Fischer, E “Standard multi-body system software in the vehicle development process” IMechE 221 J. Multi-body Dynamics
- Cugnon, F. Cardona, A. Selvi, A. Palenczny, C. Pucheta, M. “Synthesis and optimisation of flexible mechanisms” Multibody Dynamics, Book Series on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences 12 Springer Netherlands 2008
- Heege, A. Betran, J. Radovcic, Y. “Fatigue load computation of wind turbine gearbox by coupled finite element, multi-body system and aerodynamic analysis” Wind Energy 10 5 Wiley InterScience 2007
- Bruyneel, M. Granville, D. Pasquet, Ph. Gabellini, E. “Discussion on the modelling fidelity levels in flexible system dynamics” 8th World Congress on Computational mechanics (WCCM8) Venice, Italy June 30 July 5 2008