This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Biodiesel on the Tensile Properties of Nylon-6
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With increasing use of biofuels in the automotive industry, it has become necessary to evaluate their effects on the properties of polymers used in the fuel delivery systems. In this study, we have considered the effect of biodiesel on the tensile properties of nylon-6, 30% E-glass fiber reinforced nylon-6 and impact-modified nylon-6. The tensile specimens were immersed in 100% biodiesel for up to 7 days before determining their tensile properties. Another set of specimens were immersed in 100% biodiesel under stressed condition and then their tensile properties were determined. The absorption of biodiesel and their effects on tensile modulus, tensile strength and failure strain are reported in this paper.
CitationSen Choudhury, P. and Mallick, P., "Effect of Biodiesel on the Tensile Properties of Nylon-6," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0752, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0752.
- Terry, B., McCormick, R., and Natarajan, M., “Impact of Biodiesel Blends on Fuel System Component Durability,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3279, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3279.
- Zhang, X., Li, L., Wu, Z., Hu, Z. et al., “Material Compatibilities of Biodiesels with Elastomers, Metals and Plastics in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2799, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2799.
- Haseeb, A.S.M.A., Masjuki, H.H., Siang, C.T. and Fazal, M. A., “Compatibility of Elastomers in Palm Biodiesel”, Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, p. 2356-2361, 2010.
- Nakai, T. and Ogishi, H., “Verification of Influences of Biodiesel Fuel on Automotive Fuel-line Rubber and Plastic Materials,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0915, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0915.
- Jia, N., Fraenkel, H.A. and Kagan, V.A., “Effects of Moisture Conditioning Methods on Mechanical Properties of Injection Molded Nylon 6”, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 23, p. 729-737, 2004.
- “Mechanical Performance of Polyamides with Influence of Moisture and Temperature - Accurate Evaluation and Better Understanding”, BASF Corporation, 2003.