This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quantifying the Effects of Idle-Stop Systems on Fuel Economy in Light-Duty Passenger Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicles equipped with idle-stop (IS) systems are capable of engine shut-down when the vehicle is stopped, and rapid engine re-start for the vehicle launch. This capability reduces fuel consumption and emissions during periods where the engine is not being utilized to provide propulsion or to power accessories. IS sytems are a low-cost and fast-growing technology in the industry-wide pursuit of increased vehicle efficiency, possibly becoming standard features in European vehicles in the near future. In contrast, there are currently only three non-hybrid vehicle models for sale in North America with IS systems, and these are distinctly low-volume models.
As part of the United States Department of Energy's Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity (AVTA), ECOtality North America has tested the real-world effect of IS systems on fuel consumption in three vehicle models imported from Europe. These vehicles were chosen to represent three types of systems: (1) spark ignition (SI) with 12 V Belt Alternator Starter (BAS); (2) compression ignition (CI) with 12 V BAS; and (3) direct-injection SI (DISI) with 12 V BAS/combustion restart The vehicles have undergone both dynamometer and on-road testing, and the test results show somewhat conflicting data. The laboratory data and the portion of the on-road data in which the driving is conducted on a prescribed route with trained drivers produced significant fuel economy improvement. However, the fleet data do not corroborate the improvement even though the data show significant engine-off time. It is possible that the effects of the verying driving styles and routes in the fleet testing overshadowed the fuel economy improvements. More testing with the same driver over routes that are similar for the IS system enabled and disabled modes is recommended.
There is anecdotal evidence that current Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fuel economy test procedures do not capture the fuel economy gains that IS systems produce in real-world driving. The program test results provide information on the veracity of these claims and can help guide automotive manufacturers debating whether to include this system in future models.
|Technical Paper||Reduction in Parasitic Losses by Careful Choice of Alternator Drive System|
|Technical Paper||On-road Testing and Characterization of Fuel Economy of Light-Duty Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Passenger Car Fuel Economy During Non-Urban Driving|
CitationWishart, J., Shirk, M., Gray, T., and Fengler, N., "Quantifying the Effects of Idle-Stop Systems on Fuel Economy in Light-Duty Passenger Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0719, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0719.
- Canadian Driver Communications Inc. 2010 March 31 Vehicle markets expected to rise: J.D. Power July 19 2011 http://www.autos.ca/general-news/vehicle-markets-expected-to-rise-j-d-power
- Del-Colle, A. 2011 July 29 Obama Announces 54.5 mpg CAFE Standard by 2025 12 16 2011 popularmechanics.com http://www.populannechanics.com/cars/news/fuel-economy/obama-announces-54-6-mpg-cafe-standard-by-2025
- Enviromnental Protection Agency 2006 December Fuel economy labeling of motor vehicle revisions to improve calculation of fuel economy estimate http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420r06017.pdf
- Enviromnental Protection Agency 2006 Fuel Economy Labeling of Motor Vehicle Revisions to Improve Calculcation of Fuel Economy Estimates Technical Support Document Number EAP420-R-06-017
- Floraday, P. 2009 December 28 Want stop-start technology on your next vehicle? Lobby the EPA July 19 2011 Automobile Magazine http://rumors.automobilemag.com/want-stopstart-technology-on-your-next-vehicle-lobby-the-epa-2139.html
- Hybridcars.com 2008 March 17 Peugeot-Citroen: Micro-hybrids standard by 2010 July 19 2011 Hybridcars.com http://www.hybridcars.com/news/peugeot-citro%C3%ABn-micro-hybrids-standard-2010.html
- Hybridcars.com 2009 August 26 Where are the Micro-Hybrids? July 19 2011 Hybridcars.com http://www.hybridcars.com/types-systems/where-are-micro-hybrids-26042.html
- Hybridcars.com 2010 April 23 Hyundai and Ford will offer micro-hybrids September 15 2011 http://www.hybridcars.com/news/hyundai-and-ford-will-offer-micro-hybrids-27801.html
- Hybridcenter.org 2010 Hybrid Scorecard July 19 2011 hybridcenter.org http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-scorecard/
- Loveday, E. 2011 September 9 Mazda says i-stop coming to U.S. vehicle lineup by 2016 September 9 2011 autobloggreen.com http://www.bnet.com/blog/electric-cars/mazda-8217s-i-stop-offers-big-fuel-savings-8211but-us-testing-may-keep-it-off-the-market/1295
- Mazda Motor Corporation September 22 2011 Mazda.com http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/env/engine/siss2.html
- Motavalli, J. 2010 January 28 Mazda's i-stop offers big fuel savings-but U.S. testing may keep it off the market July 19 2011 bnet.com http://www.bnet.com/blog/electric-cars/mazdas-i-stop-offers-big-fuel-savings-8211but-us-testing-may-keep-it-off-the-market/1295
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2000 October 31 Impact of vehicle air-conditioning on fuel economy, tailpipe emissions, and electric vehicle range September 14 2011 http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/28960.pdf
- Raj, J. Sharma, D. 2010 October 11 Analysis: Car battery makers energized by stop-start technology December 8 2011 International Business times http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/70777/20101011/car-battery-makers-stop-start.htm
- Renshaw, G. 2008 The campaing to end American idle Vanderbilt Lawyer 37 1
- Smart, U.K. 2011 fortwo coupe-Equipment Lines December 5 2011 http://uk.smart.com/
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice “SAE Electric Vehicle and Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Conductive Charge Coupler,” SAE Standard J1772 Jan. 2010
- Topspeed.com 2009 September 9 July 15 2011 Topspeed.com http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volkswagen/2010-volkswagen-golf-bluemotion-ar80386.html
- Transport Canada 2010 smart fortwo mhd: Advanced Gasoline Idle Start Stop Technology, Test Results Report
- Union of Concerned Scientists 2011 Hybrid Scorecard 09 27 2011 Hybridcenter.org http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-scorecard/
- Valeo Stop-start systems July 19 2011 Valeo.com http://www.valeo.com/innovation/shared/images/innovation/download/Stop-start%20systems-%20Ang.pdf
- Volkswagen of America, Inc. 2010 Volkwagen Golf TDI manual
- Wishart, J. Secanell, M. Zhou, Y. 2010 Hybrid vehicle nomenclature and plug-in hybrid vehicle fuel economy International Journal of Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 177 201