This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancing Power Density with Two-Stage Turbochargers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For passenger car diesel engines, higher air density or higher boost pressure is essential to enhance power density and meet stringent emission regulations. However, single variable geometry turbines (VGT) are limited to eliminate the inherent drawbacks of turbochargers; low-end torque and rated power are hard to reconcile.
With a serial two-stage turbocharger, outstanding power density - rated power of 165kW and low-end torque of 350Nm - was obtained from Hyundai Motor's R2.2l engine. Also, it was possible to maintain the maximum torque of 500Nm evenly from 1250rpm up to 2250rpm. Compared to the current R2.2l engine with a single VGT turbocharger, more than 12% of power density increased.
The fuel economy of the two-stage turbocharged engine was slightly better than the current R2.2l engine, which resulted in further reduction of fuel consumption compared to a 3.0l single VGT engine. Vehicle test results also showed that the R2.2l engine with two-stage turbocharger could substitute the 3.0l single VGT engine without any deterioration of drivability.
CitationKang, J., Lee, J., Song, H., and Lee, D., "Enhancing Power Density with Two-Stage Turbochargers," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0709, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0709.
- Cossali, G. Gerla, A. Coghe, A. Brunello, G. “Effect of Gas Density and Temperature on Air Entrainment in a Transient Diesel Spray,” SAE Technical Paper 960862 1996 10.4271/960862
- Watel, E. Pagot, A. Pacaud, P. Schmitt, J. “Matching and Evaluating Methods for Euro 6 and Efficient Two-stage Turbocharging Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1229 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1229
- Langen, Peter Hall, Wolfgang Nefischer, Peter Hiemesch, Detlef “The new two-stage turbocharged six-cylinder Diesel Engine of the BMW 740d,” MTZ 71 2010
- Honeder, Josef Ardey, Nikolai Kaufmann, Martin Steinmayr, Thaddäus “The New BMW 4-/6-Cylinder Diesel Engine with 2-Stage Turbocharging,” 20th Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology Aachen 2011
- Westin, F. Burenius, R. “Measurement of Interstage Losses of a Twostage Turbocharger System in a Turbocharger Test Rig,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1221 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1221
- Plianos, A. Stobart, R. “Modeling and Control of Diesel Engines Equipped with a Two-Stage Turbo-System,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1018 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1018