This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trailer Side Underride Crash Testing: Relating Collision Damage to Impact Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The reconstruction of collisions involving trailer side underride by passenger vehicles is complex and challenging. A detailed analysis of the passenger vehicle's post-impact damage is required to evaluate the collision phase and ultimately to determine its impact speed. The research of trailer side underride crashes currently available to the accident reconstructionist, however, is relatively limited.
This paper presents the results of controlled underride crash testing performed on eighteen instrumented low profile and high profile passenger vehicles colliding with the sides of commercial trailers at speeds ranging from 15 to 39 miles per hour. The pre and post-collision geometries of each test vehicle were documented with three-dimensional measurements to accurately quantify the collision damages sustained and relate them to the vehicle's kinetic energy and impact speed. The vehicle and trailer interactions during the collision phase of the tests are discussed with emphasis on the implications for accident reconstruction. The test results indicate that there exists a correlation between the kinetic energy of the colliding vehicle and the volume of the resulting intrusion damage, or crush zone. Additional underride crash tests performed by other researchers are integrated into the data set and the overall results further support the correlation found in this study. This paper presents a new method to derive relatively accurate speed estimates of both low profile and high profile passenger vehicles involved in trailer side underride collisions.
CitationCastaneda, R., Jones, W., Shattuck, M., Mills, D. et al., "Trailer Side Underride Crash Testing: Relating Collision Damage to Impact Speed," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0614, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0614.
- Campbell, K. “Energy Basis for Collision Severity,” SAE Technical Paper 740565 1974 10.4271/740565
- Badger, Joseph E. “Trailer Underride-Another Look” Accident Reconstruction Journal 5 5 1993
- Badger, Joseph E. “Trailer Underride Test” Accident Reconstruction Journal 9 6 1997
- Midwest Institute for Transportation Safety, Indianapolis, IN., 2346 S. Lynhurst Dr., Ste. E107
- Trego, A. Enz, B. Head, D. Oshida, Y. “A Scientific Approach to Tractor-Trailer Side Underride Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0178 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0178
- Cofone, Joseph Craig, Victor “Automobile/Tractor-Trailer Side Underride Crash Tests,” Accident Reconstruction Journal 21 2 2011
- Bogges, B. M. Morr, D. R. Peterman, E. K. Wiechel, J. F. 2010 “Experimental Evaluation of Underride Analysis Techniques and Empirical Validation of a New Analytical Technique” Accident Analysis and Prevention 42 140 152
- Trego, A. Enz, B. Head, D. “Analysis of Side Underride Crashes Misconceptions and the Problems,” Accident Investigation Quarterly 27 2001
- ARC-CSI Crash Conference, 2010 Conference DVD www.arccsi.com
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice “Fixed Rigid Barrier Collision Tests,” SAE Standard J850 Sep. 2000
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice “Moving Rigid Barrier Collision Tests,” SAE Standard J972 May 2000
- Tavakoli, M. Valliappan, P. Pranesh, A. Savage, C. “Estimation of Frontal Crush Stiffness Coefficients for Car-to-Heavy Truck Underride Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0731 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0731