This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Low Speed Acceleration of Tractor-Semitrailers Equipped with Automated Transmissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The distance, velocity and acceleration characteristics versus time of heavy trucks for use in accident reconstruction have been the subject of studies by Grimes and others. To date, the majority of the research has been done using tractor-semitrailers equipped with standard transmissions. In recent years, as transmission technology has improved, automated and automatic transmissions are becoming popular on North American roadways. A series of tests were performed to document the acceleration characteristics of two different tractors, a 2007 Volvo VNL and a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia, both equipped with automated transmissions towing both empty and loaded semitrailers. The vehicles were instrumented with a Racelogic™ VBOX III GPS data-logging device that measured speed. Other vehicle parameters were logged using the recording software manufactured for the specific engine manufacturer. This paper presents the data from these tests and discusses the acceleration characteristics of heavy trucks equipped with automated transmissions. Unlike fully automatic transmissions, automated transmissions have a clutch. Most have a clutch pedal but the clutch pedal is only utilized when the vehicle is first put in motion.
CitationDrew, K., Van Nooten, S., and Gervais, J., "Low Speed Acceleration of Tractor-Semitrailers Equipped with Automated Transmissions," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0597, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0597.
- Grimes, W. Dickerson, C. “Low Speed Acceleration of the Freightliner FLD-120 Tractor Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0092 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0092
- Grimes, W. Dickerson, C. “Low Speed Acceleration of the Kenworth T600 Tractor Truck,” SAE Technical Paper 980366 1998 10.4271/980366
- Eaton Corporation “The AutoShift 10-speed - Fuller Automated Transmissions” http://www.eaton.com 2010
- Eaton Corporation “Driver Instructions - Fuller AutoShift Transmissions” http://www.eaton.com July 2007
- Drew, K. van Nooten, S. Bortolin, R. Gervais, J. et al. “The Reliability of Snapshot Data from Caterpillar Engines for Accident Investigation and Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2708 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2708
- Grimes, W. Dickerson, C. “Low-Speed Acceleration of a Kenworth T2000 Tractor-Truck with Autoshift Transmission,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0470 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0470
- Racelogic Corporation “Racelogic VBOX III 100 Hz GPS Datalogger User Guide” http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/vbox/Manuals/Data_Loggers/RLVB3_Manual%20-%20English.pdf July 2011
- Racelogic Corporation “Frequently Asked Questions” http://www.velocitybox.co.uk/index.php/en/support/vbox-faqs.html
- StatSoft, Inc. “Electronic Statistics Textbook” http://www.statsoft.com/textbook/ 2011