This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of Load Path Index U* for Evaluation of Sheet Steel Joint with Spot Welds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An attempt was made to apply the index U* in detail analysis of load paths in structural joints under static load, using as examples coupling structures of two joined frames with hat-shaped sections, and T-beam joint structures each including spot welds, both of which are widely used in automotive body structures. U* is a load path analysis index that expresses the strength of connection between load points and arbitrary points on a structure. It was possible to identify areas making up load paths by means of the magnitude of U* values, and to clarify the areas that should be coupled in order to achieve effective load transfer to contiguous members. In addition, because it is possible to determine whether or not each section of a structure possesses the potential for load transfer using U* analysis, the research also demonstrated that U* could be used as an indicator of joint structures providing efficient load transfer.
CitationNaito, T., Kobayashi, H., and Urushiyama, Y., "Application of Load Path Index U* for Evaluation of Sheet Steel Joint with Spot Welds," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0534, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0534.
- Kelly, D. W. Tosh, M. W. “Interpreting Load Paths and Stress Trajectories in Elasticity” Engineering Computations: Int. J. for Computer-Aided Engineering and Software 17 2 117 135 2000
- Waldman, W. Heller, M. Laya, R. Rose, F. “Advances in Two-Dimensional Structural Load Flow Visualization” Engineering Computations: Int. J. for Computer-Aided Engineering and Software 19 3 305 326 2002
- Takahashi, K. Sakurai, T. “Expression of Load Transfer Paths in Structures” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers . A 71-708 1097 1102 2005
- Kobayashi, H. Naito, T. Urushiyama, Y. Mizuno, T. Takahashi, K. “2-Dimensional U* sum Correlation Diagram for Body Structure Analysis” 2010 JSAE Annual Congress Proceedings , No.124-10 15 20 2010
- Naito, T. Kobayashi, H. Urushiyama, Y. Takahashi, K. “Introduction of New Concept U*sum for Evaluation of Weight-Efficient Structure,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 4 1 30 41 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0061