This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Modeling of Fatigue Crack Growth in Wing Skin Fastener Holes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Estimation and prediction of residual life and reliability are serious concerns in life cycle management for aging structures. Laboratory testing replicating fatigue loading for a typical military aircraft wing skin was undertaken. Specimens were tested until their fatigue life expended reached 100% of the component fatigue life. Then, scanning electron microscopy was used to quantify the size and location of fatigue cracks within the high stress regions of simulated fastener holes. Distributions for crack size, nearest neighbor distances, and spatial location were characterized statistically in order to estimate residual life and to provide input for life cycle management. Insights into crack initiation and growth are also provided.
CitationDaugherty, B. and Stachowski, S., "Statistical Modeling of Fatigue Crack Growth in Wing Skin Fastener Holes," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0482, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0482.
- Hoffman, M.E. and Hoffman, P.C., “Current and Future Fatigue Life Prediction Methods for Aircraft Structures,” Naval Research Reviews, 50: 4-13, 1998.
- Ripley, B.D., Spatial Statistics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, ISBN 0-471-69116-X: 1981.
- Diggle, P.J., Statistical Analysis of Spatial Point Patterns, Academic Press, New York, ISBN 0-12-215850-4: 1983.
- Stoyan, D., Kendall, W.S., and Mecke, J., Stochastic Geometry and Its Applications, John Wiley and Sons, New York, ISBN 0-471-90519-4: 1987.
- Cressie, N.A.C., Statistics for Spatial Data, John Wiley and Sons New York, ISBN0-471-84336-9: 1991.
- Cawley, N.R. and Harlow, D.G., “Spatial Statistics of Particles and Corrosion Pits in 2024-T3 Aluminum Alloy,” Journal of Materials Science, 31: 5127-5134, 1996.
- Stoyan, D. and Stoyan, H., Fractals, Random Shapes and Point Fields: Methods of Geometrical Statistics, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, ISBN 978-0-471-93757-9: 1994.
- Harlow, D.G., Wang, M.Z., and Wei, R.P., “Statistical Analysis of Constituent Particles in 7075-T6 Aluminum Alloy,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, 37A: 3367-3373, 2006.
- Harlow, D.G., Nardiello, J., and Payne, J., “The Effect of Constituent Particles in Aluminum Alloys on Fatigue Damage Evolution: Statistical Observations,” International Journal of Fatigue (in press - on line).