This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
MiL-Based Calibration and Validation of Diesel-ECU Models Using Emission and Fuel Consumption Prediction during Dynamic Warm-Up Tests (NEDC)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A calibration and validation workflow will be presented in this paper, which utilizes common static global models for fuel consumption, NOx and soot. Due to the applicability for warm-up tests, e. g. New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), the models need to predict the temperature influence and will be fitted with measuring data from a conditioned engine test bed. The applied model structure - consisting of a number of global data-based sub-models - is configured especially for the requirements of multi-injection strategies of common rail systems.
Additionally common global models for several constant coolant water temperature levels are generated and the workflow tool supports the combination and segmentation of global nominal map with temperature correction maps for seamless and direct ECU setting.
To globally validate the ECU calibration with respect to emission limits, fuel consumption and special regard to transient operation phases, the complete model chain will be stimulated with NEDC warm up tests. At the end of the workflow, the MiL-environment allows to improve the ECU labels (maps and curves) in a convenient time and resource saving manner.
CitationAltenstrasser, H., Kato, Y., Keuth, N., and Winsel, T., "MiL-Based Calibration and Validation of Diesel-ECU Models Using Emission and Fuel Consumption Prediction during Dynamic Warm-Up Tests (NEDC)," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0432, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0432.
- Leithgoeb, R., Bollig, M., Buechel, M., Henzinger, F.: Methodology for efficient calibration of model based ECU structures International Symposium on Development Methodology, Wiesbaden (Germany) 2005
- Murakami, Y., Kusuki, H., Nakagawa, T., Yamamoto, H., Leithgoeb, R., Rainer, A., Martini, E.: Slow Dynamic Slopes (SDS) Methodology Applied for a Stratified Gasoline Engine ‘Design of Experiments in Engine Development III’, Expert Verlag, 413-423, May 2007
- Keuth, N., Thomas, M., Pfluegl, H., Martini, E., Bergold, S.: Utilization of the Slow Dynamic Slope methology for the calibration of the ECU-functions “Air Charge Determination” and “Torque Prediction” in the series production 5th Conference ‘Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development IV’, (Co-Edition, Roepke et al., expert-Verlag, ISBN 978-3-8169-2937-6), Berlin (Germany) 2009
- Winsel, T., Ayeb, M., Theuerkauf, H., Pischinger, S. et al., “HiL-Calibration of SI Engine Cold Start and Warm-Up Using Neural Real-Time Model,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1362, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1362.
- Altenstrasser, Vitale, Winsel, Keuth, Pfluegl: Multi-layer global DoE for Automated Optimization of Shift Quality for Automatic Transmissions, 5th Conference ‘Design of Experiments (DoE) in Engine Development IV’, June 29 - 30, 2009 Berlin
- Joswa Rajan, H., Kelly, J., Hoetzendorfer, H., Keuth, N. et al., “Industrialization of Base Calibration Methods for ECU-functions Exemplary for Air Charge Determination,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0331, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0331.
- Nebel, M., Vogels, M., Combe, T., Winsel, T. et al., “Global Dynamic Models for XiL-based Calibration,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0329, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0329.