This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Internal Force Analysis of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The internal force of a variable displacement vane pump has been studied in detail with ten Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) cases with different pump speed and eccentricity. The internal moment increases considerably with faster pump speed, and at higher speeds, it can exceed the moment due to the spring force causing the slide to regulate at much lower pump discharge pressure. At low pump speeds, the effect of eccentricity is minimal. The maximum value of internal moment is expected to occur at high speeds and maximum eccentricity. There are two reasons for variation of internal moment with pump speed and eccentricity: (a) the variation of effective pressurized area of the slide changes with pump speed and (b) higher pressure in the blind ports at higher eccentricity. This study provides insight into pump forces during high-speed operation of vane pumps.
CitationSullivan, P. and Sehmby, M., "Internal Force Analysis of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0409, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0409.
- Lasecki, M. Cousineau, J. “Controllable Electric Oil Pumps in Heavy Duty Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3421 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3421
- Karmel, A. M. 1986 A Study of the Internal Forces in a Variable-Displacement Vane-Pump-Part I: A Theoretical Analysis Journal of Fluids Engineering 108 2 227 ASME 10.1115/1.3242567
- Karmel, A. M. 1986 A Study of the Internal Forces in a Variable-Displacement Vane-Pump-Part II: A Parametric Study Journal of Fluids Engineering 108 2 233 ASME 10.1115/1.3242568
- Staley, D. Pryor, B. Gilgenbach, K. “Adaptation of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump to Engine Lube Oil Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1567 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1567
- Rundo, M. Nervegna, N. 2007 Geometry Assessment of Variable Displacement Radial Pumps Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 129 4 446 455 ASME 10.1115/1.2718245
- Mancò, S. Nervegna, N. Rundo, M. Armenio, G. “Modelling and Simulation of Variable Displacement Vane Pumps for IC Engine Lubrication,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1601 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1601