This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of DPF Soot Loading on Engine Performance with a Pre-Turbo Aftertreatment Exhaust Line
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The pressure drop across the aftertreatment systems directly affects the fuel economy as a function of the flow characteristics and also the soot loading in the case of the Diesel particulate filter. However, the relative position of this system with respect to the turbine has an additional effect which is dependent on the influence of the turbine expansion ratio. When the DPF is placed upstream of the turbine, its pressure drop is not affected by the multiplicative effect of the turbine expansion ratio to set the exhaust manifold pressure.
This work concentrates on the analysis of the influence that the aftertreatment pressure drop has on the engine performance depending on the DPF soot loading and the location of the aftertreatment with respect to the turbine. The interaction with the turbocharger and the EGR operation is also analyzed taking as reference a two stage turbocharger heavy duty Diesel engine. The running conditions comprise steady state operation and a wide range of load transient processes at constant engine speed, which includes several initial engine load conditions in order to properly evaluate the influence of heat losses and thermal inertia across the aftertreatment devices. These phenomena are combined with the effect of the pressure drop to finally determine the engine dynamic response in a pre-turbo aftertreatment architecture. The DPF soot loading, which highly influences the engine performance in the traditional post-turbo DPF placement, is shown to become a secondary parameter in the case of the pre-turbo DPF placement. The analysis of the engine response leads to define main control strategies to exploit advantages and overcome possible drawbacks of the proposed exhaust line configuration.
CitationBermudez, V., Serrano, J., Piqueras, P., and García-Afonso, Ó., "Influence of DPF Soot Loading on Engine Performance with a Pre-Turbo Aftertreatment Exhaust Line," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0362, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0362.
- Johnson, T., “Review of Diesel Emissions and Control,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(1):16-29, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0301.
- Regulation (EC) n° 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2007 on type approval of motor vehicles with respect to emissions from light passenger and commercial vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on access to vehicle repair and maintenance information. Official Journal of the European Union, June 2007.
- Bélot, G., “More than half a million ultra clean PSA Diesel vehicles with FAP in the field”, presented in: 7th ETH Conference on Combustion Generated Particles, Zurich, Switzerland, 18-20 August, 2003.
- Konstandopoulos, A.G., Kostoglou, M., Vlachos, N., Kladopoulou, E., “Advances in the science and technology of Diesel particulate filter simulation”, Advances in Chemical Engineering 33: 284-294, 2007.
- Konstandopoulos, A. and Kladopoulou, E., “The Optimum Cell Density for Wall-Flow Monolithic Filters: Effects of Filter Permeability, Soot Cake Structure and Ash Loading,” - SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1133, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-1133.
- Mikulic, I., Zhan, R., and Eakle, S., “Dependence of Fuel Consumption on Engine Backpressure Generated by a DPF,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0535, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0535.
- Johnson, T., “Diesel Emission Control in Review - The Last 12 Months,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0039, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0039.
- Gardner, T., Yetkin, A., Shotwell, R., Kotrba, A. et al., “Evaluation of a DPF Regeneration System and DOC Performance Using Secondary Fuel Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2884, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2884.
- Richards, P., Terry, B., Vincent, M., and Cook, S., “Assessment of the Performance of Diesel Particulate Filter Systems with Fuel Additives for Enhanced Regeneration Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0112, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0112.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Skaperdas, E., Warren, J., and Allansson, R., “Optimized Filter Design and Selection Criteria for Continuously Regenerating Diesel Particulate Traps,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0468, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0468.
- Carberry, B., Grasi, G., Guerin, S., Jayat, F. et al., “Pre- Turbocharger Catalyst - Fast Catalyst Light- Off Evaluation,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2142, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-2142.
- Joergl, V., Keller, P., Weber, O., Mueller-Haas, K. et al., “Influence of Pre Turbo Catalyst Design on Diesel Engine Performance, Emissions and Fuel Economy,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1(1):82-95, 2009, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0071.
- Konieczny, R., Müller, W., Cherington, B., Presti, M. et al., “Pre-Turbocharger-Catalyst - Catalytic Performances on an Euro V Type Diesel Engine and Robust Design Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0768, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-0768.
- Winsor, R.E., Baumgard, K.J., “Internal combustion engine with dual particulate traps ahead of turbocharger”, US Patent Application, US/2009 0151328 (A1), 2009.
- Watanabe, Y., Araki, Y., Kobashi, K., Henda, Y., “An exhaust gas purification device for a compression-ignition combustion engine”, Patent application, EP 0823545 (B1), 2002.
- ElringKlinger, A.G., “Seal for combustion engine has catalysis element or particulate filter element connected to the seal with sealing plate whereby sealing plate has exhaust gas passage through which exhaust gas of combustion engine flows”, Patent application, DE 202006004489 (U1), 2006.
- Payri, F., Desantes, J.M., Galindo, J., Serrano, J.R., “Exhaust manifold of a turbo-supercharged reciprocating engine”, Patent application, WO 2010/092201 A1, 2010.
- Payri, F., Desantes, J.M., Serrano, J.R., Piqueras, P., “Dispositive for treatment of exhaust gases of Diesel turbo-supercharged internal combustion engines”, Patent application, P201131537, 2011.
- Payri, F., Serrano, J., Piqueras, P., and García-Afonso, O., “Performance Analysis of a Turbocharged Heavy Duty Diesel Engine with a Pre-turbo Diesel Particulate Filter Configuration,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(2):2559-2572, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-37-0004.
- Openwam website, CMT-Motores Térmicos (Universitat Politècnica de València). www.openwam.org, 2011.
- Galindo, J., Serrano, J.R., Arnau, F.J., Piqueras, P., “Description and analysis of a one-dimensional gas-dynamic model with Independent Time Discretization”, Proceedings of the Spring Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, pp. 187-197, Chicago, 2008.
- Torregrosa, A.J., Serrano, J.R., Arnau, F.J., Piqueras, P., “A fluid dynamic model for unsteady compressible flow in wall-flow diesel particulate filters”, Energy 36: 671-684, 2011.
- Subramaniam, M., Joergl, V., Keller, P., Weber, O. et al., “Feasibility Assessment of a Pre-turbo After-Treatment System with a 1D Modeling Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1276, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1276.
- Bermúdez, V., Serrano, J.R., Piqueras, P., García-Afonso, O., “Assessment by means of gas dynamic modelling of a pre-turbo Diesel particulate filter configuration in a turbocharged HSDI Diesel engine under full-load transient operation”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 225(9):1134-1155, 2011.
- Desantes, J.M, Serrano, J.R., Arnau, J.F., Piqueras, P., “Derivation of the method of characteristics for the fluid dynamic solution of flow advection along porous wall channels”, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.apm.2011-09-090.
- Konstandopoulos, A., Kostoglou, M., and Housiada, P., “Spatial Non-Uniformities in Diesel Particulate Trap Regeneration,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0908, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0908.
- Dieselnet website, www.dieselnet.com, 2011