This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Cooling Plant of a High Performance Motorbike Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper is based on a Research Project of the Department of Mechanical Engineering (DiME) in collaboration with Aprilia, the Italian motorbike manufacturer. In an attempt to simulate the functioning of the cooling plant of the Aprilia RSV-4 motorbike a numerical model was constructed using mono-dimensional and three-dimensional simulation codes. Our ultimate aim was to create a simulation model which could be of assistance to engine designers to improve cooling plant performance, thereby reducing research and development costs. The model allows to simulate the running conditions of the whole cooling circuit upon variations in environmental and running conditions.
In particular, the centrifugal pump of the cooling plant was simulated by a 3D commercial software, while the whole circuit was built by a 1D commercial code which allows simulation of all the thermal exchanges and pressure drops in the cooling circuit._An experimental campaign was also performed to obtain data to properly set and tune the numerical model. The cooling circuit was instrumented by thermocouples and pressure transducers in several points, and the motorbike was installed on a motorbike test bench, where several tests, in steady and transient conditions, and in different engine running conditions were performed.
CitationBuono, D., Senatore, A., Prati, M., and Manganelli, M., "Analysis of the Cooling Plant of a High Performance Motorbike Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0354, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0354.
- Savage, J. Tang, Y. Xie, Z. Rahman, S. “Sensitivity Analysis of Powertrain Cooling System Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0598 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0598
- Senatore, A. Cardone, M. Buono, D. Doria, E. et al. “Thermo-Fluid-dynamic Analysis of a High Performance Engine Cooling System,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0061 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0061
- Chastain, J. Wagner, J. “Advanced Thermal Management for Internal Combustion Engines - Valve Design, Component Testing and Block Redesign,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1232 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1232
- Singhal, A. K. Athavale, M. M. LI, H. Jiang, Y. “Mathematical basis and validation of the full cavitation model” Journal of Fluid Engineering September 2002 124
- Simic, D. Lacher, H. Kral, C. Pirker, F. “Evaluation of the SmartCooling (SC) Library for the Simulation of the Thermal Management of an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0541 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0541
- Cortona, E. Onder, C. “Engine Thermal Management with Electric Cooling Pump,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0965 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0965
- Couëtouse, H. Gentile, D. “Cooling System Control in Automotive Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 920788 1992 10.4271/920788
- Amelio, M. Barbara, F. Bova, S. Oliva, P. Picone, R. “Prove al banco di un MCI con sistema di raffreddamento bifase” 56° Congresso Nazionale ATI, 2001 Naples 10 14 September 2001
- Cantore, G. Fontanesi, S. Gagliardi, V. Malaguti, S. et al. “Optimization of a Cooling Circuit in an Internal Combustion Engine for Marine Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-049 2005 10.4271/2005-24-049