This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
About Trends in the Strategy of Development Accelerated Reliability and Durability Testing Technology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Accelerated Life Testing (ALT) is now the primary source for obtaining initial information for predicting a product's reliability, durability and maintainability. This paper shows that such testing fails to offer relevant information, because the product's degradation process in testing conditions differs substantially from the product's degradation process under field conditions. Consequently, the mean-time-to-failure is skewed, resulting in problems with recalls, reliability, and maintainability.
Accelerated reliability and durability testing technology (ART/ADT) is an approach to the problem which can improve the situation with more accurate prediction of reliability and durability. Trends in the strategy of development of this technology include development of the ART/ADT basic components: to test by increasing step-by-step, through combined testing, the number and quality of simultaneously simulated parameters until this number approaches the actual number of parameters anticipated in the field; development testing analysis and management of degradation (failures) and their causes, with subsequent recommendation of the causes elimination; technology of accurate prediction. The above number of parameters include full input influences, safety, and human factors. The causes include cultural and scientific-technical types. This offers the potential to predict desirable field performance and thus accelerate beneficial product development. Alas, this dynamic approach to testing is seldom used. This paper shows the many reasons why and how one can overcome the obstacles.
|Technical Paper||Design of the M656 Cargo Truck|
|Market Research Report||The Global Automotive Exterior LED Market: Trends & Forecasts to 2018|
|Technical Paper||A Computer Controlled Power Tool for Servicing the Hubble Space Telescope|
CitationKlyatis, L., "About Trends in the Strategy of Development Accelerated Reliability and Durability Testing Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0206, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0206.
- US Recall News May 19 2011
- Eisenstein, Paul A. “Top 20 million for 2010” US. Recalls
- McHughand, James Mankoff, Joshua “Recent Ford recalls total 5.2 million vehicles” Legal View. 4/28/2011
- Auto Recalls in last year January 26 2011
- Cutler, David “Timeline: Auto Recalls in last year” Reuters Jan 26 2011
- Klyatis, Lev Accelerated Reliability and Durability Testing Technology John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 2012
- Klyatis, Lev Klyatis, Eugene Accelerated Quality and Reliability Solutions Elsevier Science Oxford, UK 2006
- Klyatis, Lev Klyatis, Eugene Successful Accelerated Testing Mir Collection New York 2002
- Klyatis, L. Verbitsky, D. “Accelerated Reliability/Durability Testing as a Key Factor for Accelerated Development and Improvement of Product/Process Reliability, Durability, and Maintainability,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0203 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0203
- Klyatis, L. “Why Current Types of Accelerated Stress Testing Cannot Help to Accurately Predict Reliability and Durability?,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0800 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0800
- Klyatis, Lev Vaysman, Aysik Accurate Simulation of Human Factors and Reliability, Maintainability, and Supportability Solutions The Journal of RMS (Reliability, Maintainability, Supportability) in Systems Engineering Winter 2007
- Klyatis, L. Klyatis, E. “The Strategy to Improve Engineering Concepts of Automotive Reliability, Durability, and Maintainability Integrated with Quality,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1337 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1337