This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Introduction of a New Realistic Generic Car Model for Aerodynamic Investigations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
State-of-the-art aerodynamic research of vehicles often employs strongly simplified car models, such as the Ahmed and the SAE body, to gain general insights. As these models exhibit a high degree of abstraction, the obtained results can only partly be used for the aerodynamic optimization of production vehicles. Aerodynamic research performed on specific vehicles is on the other hand often limited due to their short life span and restricted access. A new realistic generic car model for aerodynamic research - the DrivAer body - is therefore proposed to close this gap. This paper focuses on the development of the model and the first experimental results, namely force and pressure measurements of the different configurations. The experiments were performed in the recently updated Wind Tunnel A of the Institute of Aerodynamics and Fluid Mechanics at the Technische Universität München.
CitationHeft, A., Indinger, T., and Adams, N., "Introduction of a New Realistic Generic Car Model for Aerodynamic Investigations," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0168, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0168.
- Hucho, W.-H. “Reduzierung des Luftwiderstandes - voile Wirkung mit regenerativem Bremsen,” Automobil-Revue, Nr. 36 2009
- Le Good, G. M. Garry, K. P. “On the Use of Reference Models in Automotive Aerodynamics,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1308 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1308
- Janssen, L.J. Müllenbach, P. Deutenbach, K.R. “Einfluss der Fahrbahnsimulation bei Windkanalversuchen an PKW,” J. of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 22 347 379 1986 10.1016/0167-6105(86)90097-8
- Cogotti, A. “Ground Effect of a Simplified Car Model in Side-Wind and Turbulent Flow,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0652 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0652
- Cogotti, A. “A Parametric Study of the Ground Effect of a Simplified Car Model,” SAE Technical Paper 980031 1998 10.4271/980031
- Ahmed, S. R. Ramm, G. Faltin, G. “Some Salient Features of the Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake,” SAE Technical Paper 840300 1984 10.4271/840300
- Heft, A.I. Indinger, T. Adams, N.A. “Investigation of Unsteady Flow Structures in the Wake of a Realistic Generic Car Model,” AIAA-2011-3669 2011
- Hucho, W.-H. “Aerodynamik des Automobils,” Vieweg+Teubner Wiesbaden 0-13-978-3528039592 2005
- Mack, S. Indinger, T. Adams, N. A. Unterlechner, P. “The Ground-Simulation Upgrade of the TUM Wind Tunnel,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0299 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0299
- Vogel, F. Breitsamter, C. Adams, N.A. “Aerodynamic Investigation on a Helicopter Fuselage,” AIAA 2011 3820 2011
- Sensortechnics GmbH, Puchheim, Germany HCL Series - Miniature compensated low pressure sensors 2010
- Wickern, G. “Drag coefficients of the Audi A4 Saloon, Audi A4 Avant and the Audi A5 Sportback” Audi AG 2011
- EADE European Aerodynamic Data Exchange “BMW AG - 320i: Station Wagon” Chart No. 236 2008
- EADE European Aerodynamic Data Exchange “BMW AG - 320i: Sedan” Chart No. 229 2008
- Elofsson, P. Bannister, M. “Drag Reduction Mechanisms Due to Moving Ground and Wheel Rotation in Passenger Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0531 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0531
- Ahmed, S.R. Gawthrope, R.G. Mackrodt, P.-A. “Aerodynamics of Road- and Rail Vehicles,” Vehicle System Dynamics 14 4 319 392 10.1080/00423118508968836
- Hetherington, B. Sims-Williams, D. B. “Wind Tunnel Support Strut Interference,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0806 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0806