This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-based Estimation of Unknown Contact Forces Acting on a Piston in Dual Clutch Transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Powertrain control strategies achieving high performance and better shift control depend critically on the available measurements taken directly from the sensors. For Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), the clutch friction forces are very important to improve the shift quality. So the estimations are needed to be able to set up the shift control on the powertrain system. For better shift comfort, accurate information for the dual clutch transmission should be available to control the clutch pressure. Furthermore, torque sensors for rotating shafts cannot be used on production vehicles since they are expensive and enduring in the environment of the automotive system.
This paper presents an Improved Proportional Integral (IPI) observer for estimation of the unknown forces acting on the clutch during shift processes as well as the non measured states. The estimated unknown forces can be used for the closed-loop control of the dual clutch transmission for better shift quality. The IPI observer is improved to include also nonlinear known inputs. The observer was tested on experimental data obtained with a GETRAG dual clutch transmission in a BMW M3 with a petrol engine and yielded satisfactory results.
CitationMustafa, R. and Küçükay, F., "Model-based Estimation of Unknown Contact Forces Acting on a Piston in Dual Clutch Transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0110, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0110.
- Yi, K. Shin, B. K. Lee, K. 2000 Estimation of Turbine Torque of Automatic Transmissions Using Nonlinear Observers Transactions of ASME 122 276
- Söffker, D. Ulbrich, H. 2003 Model-based estimation of contact forces Proceeding of the X DINAME Brazil
- Jelali, M. Kroll, A. 2003 Hydraulic Servo-systems: Modelling, Identification and Control Springer Verlag 1852336927 London
- Gelb, A. 1974 Applied optimal estimation The MIT Press 10: 0-262-57048-3
- Schafai, B. Carrol, R. L. 1987 Design of a minimal order observer for singular systems International journal for control 45 33 1075 1081 Taylor & Francis
- Müller, P. C. 1988 Control of nonlinear systems by applying disturbance rejection control techniques Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Control. 734 737
- Kashi, K. 2006 Development of a Fault Diagnosis System for an Active Roll Control System using Observers and Virtual Sensors Dissertation Shaker Verlag
- Mustafa, R. Kassel, T. Alvermann, G. Küçükay, F. 2010 Modelling and analysis of the electro-hydraulic and driveline control of the dual clutch transmission FISITA 2010 World Automotive Congress, F2010-C-061
- Cho, B. H. Jung, G. H. Hur, J. W. Lee, K. I. “Modeling of Proportional control Solenoid Valve for Automatic Transmission Using System Identification Theory,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1061 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1061
- Linsmeier, K. D. Greis, A. 2007 Electromagnetic Actuators: Physical principles, types of design, applications Verlag Moderene Industrie
- Schulz, J. 2009 New disc springs for dual clutch Transmission 8 th International CTI Symposium 978-3-00-028976-7 2
- Alvermann, G. 2009 Virtuelle Getriebeabstimmung PhD. Thesis Institut für Fahrzeugtechnik TU Braunschweig
- Rinderknecht, S. 2007 GETRAG Power 7DCI600-Dual Clutch Transmission for high efficiency and dynamics in inline powertrain 6 th International CTI Symposium-Innovative Automotive Transmissions B1 235 424 Berlin
- Luenberger, D.G. 1964 Observing the state of a linear system IEEE Transactions on Military Electronics 47 80
- Krajcin, I. Söffker, D. 2005 Diagnosis and control of 3D elastic mechanical structures Proc. 12 th Symposium on Smart Structures and Materials San Diego, USA
- Söffker, D. Idriz, K. Heidtmann, F. 2006 Observer-based Control and Disturbance Compensation of elastic Mechanical 2D-/3D-Structure Proc. 2 nd International Conference on Dynamics, Vibration and Control Beijing
- Ogata, K. 2002 Modern Control Engineering Prentice Hall 0-471-39254-5
- Schrick, V. D. 2004 PI-observer-based reconstruction of effect-variables and construction of characteristic curves 5 th Asian Control Conference