This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Mechanical Behavior of Thermoplastics with Local Deformation Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In quasi-static tension and compression tests of thermoplastics, full-field strain distribution on the gage section of the specimen can be captured using the two-dimensional digital image correlation method. By loading the test specimens made of a talc-filled and impact-modified polypropylene up to tensile failure and large compressive strains, this study has revealed that inhomogeneous deformation within the gage section occurs quite early for both test types. This leads to the challenge of characterizing the mechanical properties - some mechanical properties such as stress-strain relationship and fracture strain could depend on the measured section length and location. To study this problem, the true stress versus true strain curves determined locally in different regions within the gage length are compared. The results show that, for the tension test, the stress-strain curve seems independent of regions within the gage section, but the local fracture strain increases as the length of the measurement region is reduced. For the compression test, the large transverse expansion of the material in the middle of the gage section causes the specimen surface to become shorter and bulged out in the late stage of the tests, which makes the test result only reliable when the longitudinal strain is smaller than 0.2. A possible inverse-engineering method is proposed for identifying the true material response at a large compressive deformation. It is also shown that the ratio of longitudinal strain to transverse strain is different between tension and compression tests. This difference is not addressed in any existing material models in the finite element software LS-DYNA.
CitationGu, G., Lin, S., Xia, Y., Zhou, Q. et al., "Characterization of Mechanical Behavior of Thermoplastics with Local Deformation Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0040, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0040.
- Munhoz, D. Gregolin, J. de Faria, L. de Andrade, T. “Automotive Materials: current status, technology trends and challenges,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2671 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2671
- G'Sell, C. Hiver, J.M. Dahoun, A. “Experimental characterization of deformation damage in solid polymers under tension, and its interrelation with necking,” Int. J. Solid Struct. 39 13-14 3857 3872 2002
- Parsons, E. Boyce, M.C. Parks, D.M. “An experimental investigation of the large-strain tensile behavior of neat and rubber-toughened polycarbonate,” Polym 45 8 2665 2684 2004 10.1016/j.polymer.2004.01.068
- Parsons, E. Boyce, M.C. Parks, D.M. Weinberg, M. “Three-dimensional large-strain tensile deformation of neat and calcium carbonate-filled high-density polyethylene,” Polym 46 7 2257 2265 2005 10.1016/j.polymer.2005.01.045
- Fang, Q.Z. Wang, T.J. Li, H.M. “Large tensile deformation behavior of PC/ABS alloy,” Polym 47 14 5174 5181 2006 10.1016/j.polymer.2006.04.069
- Fang, Q.Z. Wang, T.J. Beom, H.G. Zhao, H.P. “Rate-dependent large deformation behavior of PC/ABS,” Polym 50 1 296 304 2009 10.1016/j.polymer.2008.10.042
- Grytten, F. Daiyan, H. Polanco-Loria, M. Dumoulin, S. “Use of digital image correlation to measure large-strain tensile properties of ductile thermoplastics,” Polym. test 28 6 653 660 2009 10.1016/j.polymertesting.2009.05.009
- Jerabek, M. Major, Z. Lang, R.W. “Strain determination of polymeric materials using digital image correlation,” Polym. test 29 3 407 416 2010 10.1016/j.polymertesting.2010.01.005
- Heinz, S.R. Wiggins, J.S. “Uniaxial compression analysis of glassy polymer networks using digital image correlation,” Polym. test 29 8 925 932 2010 10.1016/j.polymertesting.2010.08.001
- Moura, R.T. Clausen, A.H. Fagerholt, E. Alves, M. Langseth, M. “Impact on HDPE and PVC plates - Experimental tests and numerical simulations,” Int. J. Impact Eng. 37 6 580 598 2010 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2009.12.004
- Delhaye, V. Clausen, A.H. Moussy, F. Othman, R. Hopperstad, O.S. “Influence of stress state and strain rate on the behavior of a rubber-particle reinforced polypropylene,” Int. J. Impact Eng. 38 4 208 218 2011 10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2009.11.004
- Jerabek, M. Major, Z. Lang, R.W. “Uniaxial compression testing of polymeric materials,” Polym. test 29 3 302 309 2010 10.1016/j.polymertesting.2009.12.003
- ASTM D638M “Standard test method for tensile properties of plastics,” 1993
- Kolling, S. Haufe, A. Feucht, M. Du Bois, P.A. “SAMP-1: A semi-analytical model for the simulation of polymers,” 4 th International LS-DYNA User's Conference Paper A-II-27 2005
- LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual, Version 971 Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2007