This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ONICE2D and DROP3D SLD Capability Assessment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In 1994, an ATR-72 crashed at Roselawn, Indiana, USA. It has been speculated that accident was due to Supercooled Large Droplet (SLD) icing. This accident led to a modification of the regulation rules with the definition of the Appendix O which includes freezing drizzle and freezing rain icing conditions. The associated NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rule Making) has been distributed to industry for comments on 29th June 2010 and could be applicable by beginning 2012. In order to comply with this new rule, the simulation tools, as Acceptable Means of Compliance, have to be improved and validated for these conditions.
The paper presents the work performed within Airbus to review, improve and assess simulation tools capability to accurately predict physical phenomena related to SLD. It focuses in particular on splashing and bouncing phenomena which have been highlighted as the first order effects. In a first step, the NASA splashing and bouncing model has been introduced within the ONICE2D ice accretion suite, developed by ONERA, and its implementation has been validated versus the overall NASA SLD experimental database. In a second step, the SLD capability of the DROP3D code, developed by NTI, has been as well assessed by comparing the results obtained on a selected number of test cases from the NASA SLD database to available experimental measurements. For both ONICE2D and DROP3D codes the activation of the SLD model has led to significantly improve collection efficiency predictions. A preliminary SLD capability is now available at Airbus for further assessment on representative industrial configurations.
CitationDezitter, F., "ONICE2D and DROP3D SLD Capability Assessment," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0088, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0088.
- Aircraft Accident Report “In-Flight Icing Encounter And Loss Of Control” NTSB/AAR-96/01 1994
- Wright, W.B. Potapczuck, M.G. “Semi-Empirical Modeling of SLD physics” AIAA-2004-0412
- Wright, W.B. “Validation Results for LEWICE 3.0” AIAA-2005-1243
- Wright, W.B. “Further Refinement of the LEWICE SLD Model” AIAA-2006-0464
- Bourgault, Y. Habashi, W.G. Dompierre, J. Baruzzi, G.S. “A Finite Element Method Study of Eulerian Droplets Impingement Models” Int, Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids 1999
- Honsek, R. Habashi, W.G. “FENSAP-ICE: Eulerian Modeling of Droplet Impingemnet in the SLD Regime of Aircraft Icing” AIAA-2006-0465
- Garcia, N.G. Villedieu, P. Dewitte, J. Lavergne, G. “A new droplet-wall interaction model” ICLASS06-167
- Mundo, C. Tropea, C. Sommerfeld, M. “Droplet Wall Collisions: Experimental Studies of the Deformation and Break-up Process” Int J. Multiphase Flow 21 2 151 173 1995
- Mundo, C. Tropea, C. Sommerfeld, M. “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of Spray Characteristics in the Vicinity of a Rigid Wall” Exp. Thermal and Fl. Sci. 15 228 237 1997
- Trujillo, M.F. Mathews, W., S. Lee, C.F. Peters, J.E. “Modelling and experiments of impingement and atomisation of a liquid spray on a wall” International journal of engine research 1 1 87 105 2000
- Cossali, G.E. Goghe, A. Marengo, M. “The impact of a single drop on a wetted solid surface” Exp. Fluids 22 463 472 1997
- Cossali, G.E. Brunello, G. Coghe, A. Marengo, M. “ Impact of a single drop on a liquid film: Experimental Analysis and Comparison with Empirical Models ” Italian Conf on Thermofluid Dyn. July 1999
- Bai, C. Gosman, A.D. “ Development of Methodology for Spray Impingement Simulation ” SAE Technical Report 950283 1995
- Papadakis, M. Raciman, A. Wong, S.C. Yeong, H.W. Hung, K.E. Bidwell, C.S. “Water Impingement Experiments on a NACA0012 Airfoil with Simulated Glaze Ice Shapes” AIAA-2004-0565
- Yarin, A.L. Weiss, D.A. “ Impact of drops on solid surfaces: self-similar capillarity waves, and splashing as a new type of kinematic discontinuity ’’ J. Fluid Mechanics 283 141 773 1995
- Stow, C.D. Hadfield, M.G. “An experimental investigation of fluid flow resulting from the impact of a water drop with an unyielding dry surface” Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 373 419 441 1981
- Papadakis, M. Rachman, A. CheukWong, S. Yeong, H. Hung, K. E. Vu, G. T. Bidwell, C. S. “Water droplet impingement on simulated glaze, mixed and rime ice accretions ” Technical Report NASA/TM-2007-213961 NASA October 2007
- Cambier, L. Gazaix, M. “elsA: An efficient object-oriented solution to CFD complexity.” AIAA-paper, 2002-0108
- Amiel, C. “Application de techniques optiques à l’étude du comportement dynamique et thermique de gouttes en interaction avec une paroi chauffée” Ph.D. thesis École Nationale Supérieure de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace 2002