This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
New SLD Icing Capabilities at DGA Aero-Engine Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper deals with the development and the validation of a SLD capability in the DGA Aero-engine Testing icing altitude test facility S1 and with the results of the EXTICE 2D SLD icing tests campaign on a NACA 0012 airfoil. A new kind of SLD atomizer has been developed and characterized prior to being installed on the S1 sprays bars for freezing drizzle calibration tests. For 2D icing tests, a specific set-up has been designed and validated. Some results of the SLD atomizer characterization, calibration tests, 2D test methodology validation and EXTICE SLD 2D icing tests are presented.
CitationHervy, F., "New SLD Icing Capabilities at DGA Aero-Engine Testing," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0086, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0086.
- Bellucci, M. Vernillo, P. Auletta, A. Esposito, B. M. Marrazzo, M. Ferrigno, F. “SONACA Icing Test Campaign on a 2D Model at CIRA IWT,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3335 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3335
- Foss Van Zante, J. “A Database of Supercooled Large Droplet Ice Accretions,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3348 2007 10.4271.2007-01-3348
- Henry, R. Le Berre, S. Hervy, F. Experimental study of large droplet aircraft icing in a small wind tunnel IWAIS 1998
- SAE International Aerospace Recommended Practice “Calibration and Acceptance of Icing Wind Tunnels,” SAE Standard ARP5905 Sept. 2003
- Ladson, C. L. Hill, A. S. Johnson, W. G. Jr. Pressure distribution from high Reynolds number transonic tests of an NACA 0012 airfoil in the Langley 0.3 meter transonic cryogenic tunnel NASA Technical Memorandum 100526 December 1987