This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Commissioning of a Linear Compressor Cascade Rig for Ice Crystal Research
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the commissioning of a linear compressor cascade rig for ice crystal research. The rig is located in an altitude chamber so the test section stagnation pressure, temperature and Mach number can be varied independently. The facility is open-circuit which eliminates the possibility of recirculating ice crystals reentering the test section and modifying the median mass diameter and total water content in time. As this is an innovative facility, the operating procedures and instrumentation used are discussed. Sample flow quality data are presented showing the distribution of velocity, temperature, turbulence intensity and ice water concentration in the test section. The control and repeatability of experimental parameters is also discussed.
Although the rig was designed to investigate the ice crystal phenomenon in an environment representative of a compressor stator row, the test section can be reconfigured to assess the performance of aircraft air data sensors as well.
CitationKnezevici, D., Fuleki, D., and MacLeod, J., "Development and Commissioning of a Linear Compressor Cascade Rig for Ice Crystal Research," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0079, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0079.
- Lawson, R. P. Angus, L. J. Heymsfield, A. J. “Cloud Particle Measurements in Thunderstorm Anvils and Possible Weather Threat to Aviation,” J.of Aircraft 35 1 1998 113 121
- Mason, J. G. Strapp, J. W. Chow, P. “The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight” 2006, AIAA-2006-206, 44 th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit Jan. 12 2006 Reno, NV
- Fuleki, D. M. MacLeod, J. D. “Ice Crystal Accretion Test Rig Development For A Compressor Transition Duct” 2010, AIAA Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference May 8 2010 Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Mason, J. G. Chow, P. Fuleki, D. M. “Understanding Ice Crystal Accretion and Shedding Phenomenon in Jet Engines Using a Rig Test” 2010 1914 Glasgow, UK
- Lilie, L. Emery, E. Strapp, W. J. Emery, J. “A Multiwire Hot-Wire Device for Measurement of Icing Severity, Total Water Content, Liquid Water Content, and Droplet Diameter” 2010 AIAA 2005-859 Reno, Nevada
- Lewis, W. E. “Fixed-Direction Probes for Aerodynamic Measurement” 1966 180 141 152
- Camp, T. R. Shin, H. W. “Turbulence Intensity and Length Scale Measurements in Multistage Compressors,” Journal of Turbomachinery 117 1 1995 38 47
- Wisler, D. C. Bauer, R. C. Okiishi, T. H. “Secondary Flow, Turbulent Diffusion and Mixing in Axial-Flow Compressors,” Journal of Turbomachinery 109 4 2011 455 482
- Strapp, J. W. Environment Canada, Cloud Physics and Severe Weather Research branch 2011